Converted 1/2 workbench in shed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty B

Let's try it this way.
Reaction score
This is my first "post," not sure I'm doing it right and can't figure out the picture posting (tried uploading, tried linking ... I'll figure it out)...

I'm sure there's already a thread for this, but I looked, and I'm lazy, so I didn't look hard. One of the reasons I got back into brewing was for the DIY aspect of ... well, pretty much everything. I'm still trying to rationalize saving 30$ on a wort chiller vs a DIY version that will probably end up being more expensive. Anyway, my current project (still in temperature trials) is what amounted to about a $100 fermentation chamber in my shed, in hopes to "upgrade" from the modified water circulation system I had working in a 10 gallon cooler. All because my wife wants me to brew a "pilsner urquell style" beer. So far my submerged carboy works and I have to replace the ice about once a day, but I can only effectively do 3 gallons at a time (and because lagers take forever) that isn't an effective use of space ... hence the need for the "chamber."

Effectively, I took 1/2 of my workbench in my shed (I do most of my work on a portable bench outside anyway).

Installed a frame (exterior measurements 37" x 36" x 24")

Put in TWO layers of R5 rigid insulation and inserted a probe (you can see it sticking through the insulation about 1/2 way up left of center)

Then boxed it in. 1/2 inch strand board all around, all seams are caulked.

I'm currently using a Ryobi 9 1/2 inch battery powered fan because I have no power in the shed, but I'm working on two smaller (6", inexpensive) fans to take over the air flow duties.

I forget to take pictures of the finished product with the door ... still hasn't been painted so it's not COMPLETELY done, but I'll post those pictures tomorrow. Right now, temperature trials ... I'm using milk jugs of ice for my coolant, and a 1/2 gallon holds 60 degrees for about 2 hours, then it drops to about 64 for about 8 hours which is when I've been replacing the ice. I still need to get it into the high 40s (hopefully), but the low 50s (at least) and I've been limited because my kids aren't drinking enough milk so my ice is being used up in the water circulation device spoken of earlier.

Anyway! I would just love to hear what people do INSTEAD OF BUY the product designed for whatever the purpose. I have no problem with buying those products, but if I can DIY ...

I have been looking to build a Ferm chamber since my old fridge I was using died. Thanks for the idea

Back