Convert ultraviolet light tube to RIMS tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murph69

Reaction score
Has anyone successfully converted an ultraviolet light tube to a RIMS heating tube 🤔

FE78347F-678E-41A9-91C3-C42D8B9E989D.jpeg

Last edited:
It is probably easier and cheaper to buy 1.5 or 2 inch sanitary tees and a spool long enough for the element, held with tri clamps. This would also be much easier to service in the future.

Element>tee>spool>tee. With the thermowell for temp probe at the end tee

No stainless steel sanitary fittings. You can find them on amazon.

Tee fitting

Heating element or 15amp element

Gaskets

Thermowell

Hose barbs

Looks like the biggest variable would be your power supply available. If you have 220v you could use a bigger element or if you have household 15amp you could go lower wattage. Your controller will correlate to the element. I use 15 Amp elements in my herms system with an ink bird ipb 16. Works great I'd like the bigger higher voltage stuff but my condo just doesn't have it. Nice thing is that these are interchangeable parts so you can mix and match it to your specific application.

Clamps

Optional spool depending on element length

I could but then I'd have to rebuild my entire system.

IMG_20210319_185822_215.jpg

I only use both elements for a short time in the hlt, then let the pid control just one for mash and sparge Temps. I them have both elements run full blast for the boil.

Latest posts

Back