Convert this extract receipt into all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerrg

Reaction score
I've got this receipt for a wheat beer and I'd like to convert it to an all grain receipt. Any ideas? thanks!

Ingredients:
3 lb Wheat dry malt extract (55% wheat 45% barley)
3 lb Wheat liquid malt extract (55% wheat 45% barley
Appox. 1.25 oz Hallertau Hops
Wyeast 1010
2 tablet Irish moss
1 lb Wheat malt (crushed grain)
6 oz caramel wheat malt (crushed grain)

Thanks for any help!

peace
-gw

(Not knowing much about recipe formulation...)

Do you use brewing software? Since they give you the ratio of barley to wheat, it seems like you could put in 55% 2 row or something and 45% wheat, enter your target OG and have it work its magic.

If there's more to it than that, though, I need to concede to the People Who Actually Know What They're Talking About.

1 lb grain = .75 lb LME = .6 lb DME

Too simple...the 6 lbs of malt extract (I'm assuming DME because 1 can of LME is 3.3 lbs) would equal 10 lbs of grain.

The ratio is 55/45 so the wheat would be 5.5 lbs and the barly 4.5 lbs. ;)

Irish Moss (a clarifier) is not required for this brew.:D

before I used the wheat and caramel grain as a steep before I added the extract. How should I use it in a mash? just add the caramel to the mash?

peace
-gw

I just had a thought, though- that's a lot of wheat! I don't like wheat beers, but I wonder if someone with experience making wheat beers can give you a good mash schedule. I don't know if you'd want a protein rest, for example.

Latest posts

Back