Convert extract recipe to all grain for BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imp81318

Reaction score
Hi all, it has been quite some time since I last brewed and I cannot find my CD to install BeerSmith2 on my new computer. I think I'm going to have some time to brew this weekend and I'd like to convert an extract recipe I have done in the past to all grain for BIAB. The basic malts/grains in the recipe are:

Specialty Grains:
Cara-Pils 1lb
Vienna 8oz

6lb pale LME

1lb corn sugar

Any help on converting the LME to all-grain would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! That chart looks like it would actually be more like 8 pounds since the original had 6 pounds of liquid extract, not dry.

But, what grain(s) should I use?

You can use any base malt you want - 2 row, pale ale malt, pilsner - what is the rest of the recipe and what kind of beer are you aiming for?

It is a citrusy blonde ale. Only other ingredients are the hops (1 oz perle 60 mins, .5 oz citra 30 mins & .5 oz citra 0 mins), clarity ferm, & California ale yeast

I would also consider losing the corn sugar and replacing that w base malt.

Not sure if it’s fact or opinion, but my extract beers seemed to finish heavier so the CS would be more appropriate....I guess it depends if your looking for a light blonde or regular.

10 lbs base malt, I have a thing for Pilsner lately, and no extract, no CS.

Not a big deal either way.

The question of "who will be doing the milling" is in my mind. Converting extract to all grain is not an exact science as extract has a guaranteed amount of sugar while all grain has a potential but reaching near that potential depends on the milling of the grain and to some extent the length of the mash period. If you get the grain already crushed your mash efficiency (how much of the potential sugars you actually get out of the grain) may be 60% with a 60 minute mash or it could be 80% with the same mash period. Taking the value of 70% is relatively safe but until you have brewed a few batches you won't know for sure how your system works. Extending the mash period to 90 minutes can help mitigate the results from a poor crush.

A simple dunk sparge is also a good idea if you don't have control over your crush.

Thanks for the replies all. I know it isn't going to be an exact science for the conversion. Iver done a few small BIAB batches before and they've come out good assuming 70% efficiency. I will the grains at my lhbs, so no control over how fine they'll be. To compensate for this I have mashed overnight with the pot wrapped in blankets for insulation in the past, and that's what I plan to do this time.

Back