Controlling a 240v element in HLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisfromAbby

Reaction score
I'm seriously contemplating the switch to 240 volt electric for my HLT. My attempts at a home-built heatstick are dismal, leaking 120v failures.
I figure might as well go whole hog at 5500W. If that works well, propane may disappear entirely. :)
What I want - Temperature control on the HLT. I'm very familiar with wiring up STC-1000s for 120v. I guess I'll need a 240volt version and a junction box. Unless a PID would be that much better?
I'll need a cable to connect the heater element to the PID/STC.
I'm planning to use my 30' Welder extension cord that I plug into my dryer outlet.
A 240v in-line GFCI device would be nice - do these exist??? I've got an electrician buddy I may need to call...
Bobby will be getting another order through BrewHardware soon it seems.

If the HLT is part of a HERMS system, you want a PID. If you just plan to heat up water to a set point and roughly hold it there, you can rig an STC with a 30amp 2 pole contactor or power relay. In other words, the STC would close it's NO relay which would supply the power relay's coil with 240v to close.

Back