Control Panel Config Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illin8

Reaction score
I'm using an 8" x 8" enclosure for my control panel. The panel will house the PID, 40-amp SSR & Heatsink, some sort of distribution block and grounding bar, a 30-amp DPST switch, and a 30-amp 3-prong receptacle. I'm about to start mounting the components and had a few questions:

1. Does the heatsink need to be mounted externally? I'm not sure I have enough room within the box to keep it inside, but if I do is it a viable option? The SSR had no directions either, but I presume the white substance provided is to be used as a layer between the SSR/Heatsink connection.

2. I'm running 240v into the box to power one (1) receptacle and splitting one (1) 110v line off it to power the PID. I was planning on picking up a 3-pole 1-in/4-out distribution block from Automation Direct but am wondering if there are other alternatives out there? I mean, I'm only splitting the 110v off for the PID. I had originally planned on supplying a pump and stir motor but decided to just keep it simple. Can I just use wire caps to distribute the power? Can I use terminal blocks, jumping power from one pin to the other? I want to do it right, but the large distribution blocks are overkill for what I need.

Here is a thread I created based on an experiment:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ssr-heat-concerns-147508/

I have used this "box" several times and no problems yet but I'm only switching 1500 watts.

The white paste is to ensure a good thermo bond between the SSR and the heatsink.

You might check the specs on your PID... if you have no other need for 110 in the box, you might be able to supply the PID with 220.

Ed

The terminal block idea will work great, and should save you a few dollars. Make sure its a 30 amp block and use jumpers or a bit of 10awg to jump. I'd definitely go with blocks over wire caps.

Back