Control Panel Build help (gas)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cschmaltz80

Reaction score
1) Please bare with me as I am NOT an electrician. I am seeking help, knowledge, guidance for my current setup.
2) I had an electrician help me wire it and the current diagram is basically how it is currently wired. Please keep in mind the colors don't have much significance, except green is GND, black/red are for where they are on the bus bar or the receptacle I believe is correct, the Blue is Neutral/Common as I think its referred to. Due to life changes/events its taken me about 3 years to get back to this project.
3) After completing the current schematic (see attached) I have noticed that the relays for the the 2x Gas transformers are also connected to a receptacle 🔌 which they should NOT be, the receptacles should power on 2 pumps instead. The transformers are NOT wired at all. the switch for the gas is actually a "Latching Rotary Select Selector Switch - ON-NONE-OFF" intent was for manual override/safety.
4) I have recently verified that with the Brewpi software & the expansion boards to the relay boards all this works in software and does turn the relay on/activates it.

5) Currently I believe because the wiring for the gas is incorrect for my application/intent this is causing some sort of issue to where I do not have 120V out.
6) My hope or intent is to correct how it is currently wired for the gas, I can then wire the transformers into the relays, and provide an updated schematic after that has been corrected. I'm a very visual person so usually drawings or circle highlights etc. to point out what needs to be corrected is likely best way to go.
7) I'm sure there will be questions along the way, I will do my best to answer them to the best of my knowledge.

thank you in advance,

Attachments

• Brew layout.pdf
    910.7 KB · Views: 56
Sorry, but I cannot make any sense of this diagram. There are components that are not defined (other than a picture), there is no consistent usage of wire color for voltages/phases or function, it includes lots of stuff not related to mash & boil functions, etc.

Brew on :mug:

Sorry, but I cannot make any sense of this diagram. There are components that are not defined (other than a picture), there is no consistent usage of wire color for voltages/phases or function, it includes lots of stuff not related to mash & boil functions, etc.

Brew on :mug:

+1

Trying to untangle that drawing against what was built, but able to look at the panel in it's built state. Your are in a very difficult spot.

I do not know how to tell you where to start. Either you start educating yourself on basic electronics, or get somebody (local, who can look at the panel) who does to help you.

Best of luck.

Ok, well I’m happy to help clarify or discuss whatever you feel would be most beneficial. The general flow is you have a RPI & Brewpi Spark that controls the relay boards. Basically the pumps/appliances plug into the outlets. The relays turn them on & the lights for when activated, and the switches are just for the manual safety/override just in case. If you would prefer the connection pieces to be the same/consistent color I can adjust that.
Again this is how it is currently wired. There aren’t I don’t believe issues with how the majority of the outlets are wired it’s just the gas portion that I believe is causing the main issues.

Here you go a 100% working Control Panel with gas heating. This uses a RaspberryPi and the Brewpi Spark v3 with 4x expansion boards. I tried to clean up the drawing some more and simplify some of the colors.
1) The Breaker inside is a single/double throw option. I can have power to the computer/controller and everything else can still be off.
2) Turning the 2nd breaker allows power to the system. The on/off switch & lights: The red off always has power when the breaker is on. The green switch provides power to the rest of the DIN rail connectors.
3) The Emergency Override stops power on the DIN rails but still has power to the Computer/controller.
4) All the switches work with the on/off function. The GAS has a switch for safety and manual override just in case.
5) The appliances are just there to show what device plugs into what receptacle.

I have a separate flow diagram for the HLT > Mash > Kettle > Fermenters that depicts all the control valves and temperature sensors.

Let me know if you have questions or feedback, on how it can be helpful for others.

Attachments

• Brew layout-Final.pdf
    765 KB · Views: 13
Back