Consider checklists

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick_R

Still Love Fried Chicken
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
One thing you learn as a pilot is to use checklist even for the most obvious things. As I was watching the porter swirl into the bottling bucket a couple of hours ago, the process much eased by my nice, new auto siphon (yeah!), my 'yeah!' turned into 'oops' when it crossed my mind that, perhaps, some corn sugar for carbonation would have been useful. I'd totally forgotten.

I think I'm going to make a checklist for bottling day like I do for brew day and avoid the angst that comes with having to boil the corn sugar, quick-cool in a sink full of water, and watch an ounce or three of tap water drain off the bottom of the pan into the bottling bucket because I forgot to wipe it off prior to adding it. Plus having to stir, which I'd prefer to avoid, it's enough to come close to going past 'darn' in my language. I've never used a checklist for bottling, 'cause, hey, it's so simple how could you forget any of the few steps?

It'll be fine, I'm sure (I hope), but never-the-less, lesson learned.

Rick

I did the exact same thing with my last batch. I hope the sugar-water got thoroughly mixed :p

I already printed up my checklist.

Yes, lists are a great system for reminding us to do that we already know to do but forget to do.

I use Beersmith and it is my understanding that new upgrades allow us to add info to our brewsheets. Have not figured it our yet, but it is an option. Creating a standard, or, a close to standard brew sheet may help.

Back