Conical Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheEagleRising

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looking to upgrade my setup after 3 batches. Just have the typical starter kit. I am looking at conical fermenting setups. The best option I see financially is the Fast Ferment 7.9 setup, but the reviews vary. Should I just save up and get something stainless. Advice appreciated.

Well, you have to decide what is best for you. For me, I wouldn't pay that kind of money for a plastic conical that I may have to replace every few years. I have no problem with plastic - I use a bucket sometimes, but I regularly replace it.

Have you dealt with temperature control already?

Looking to upgrade my setup after 3 batches. Just have the typical starter kit. I am looking at conical fermenting setups. The best option I see financially is the Fast Ferment 7.9 setup, but the reviews vary. Should I just save up and get something stainless. Advice appreciated.

What do you expect to gain that the cost of a conical will make sense? I'd guess that the majority of us brew in plastic buckets.

Well, you have to decide what is best for you. For me, I wouldn't pay that kind of money for a plastic conical that I may have to replace every few years. I have no problem with plastic - I use a bucket sometimes, but I regularly replace it.

Have you dealt with temperature control already?
Temp control is something else I've looked at as well. I dont necessarily have a solid temp controlled area.

What do you expect to gain that the cost of a conical will make sense? I'd guess that the majority of us brew in plastic buckets.
This is my inexperience talking, but I thought it would help with clarity and ease of transferring to bottle bucket or the ability to do it all in one to limit exposing the wort. I am still learning so any advice would be greatly appreciated. I plan to try my 1st IPA next, a Pliny Clone.

I would invest in a cheap chest freezer and temp controller. If you watch sales you could get a chest freezer for $140-160 and a temp controller for $50-100. Make sure your temp controller has hot and cold sides. With a heater plugged into the hot side.

That is something I will have to look into once I move back to the States. I also plan on switching to All Grain and Kegs at some point too.

I think that one of the least important pieces of brewing equipment is the fermentation vessel (FV). Far more critical to actually making great beer is temperature control during fermentation. Limiting oxygen is a close second.

The temp control solution often limits the type of FV that can be used in terms of size, shape, ease of vessel movement, and ease of liquid transfer. So in that regard, the FV does become important as part of the overall solution.

If you decide to adopt temp control, you'll need a fridge or converted chest freezer. Conicals are pretty large, and often won't fit into smaller fridges. And you have to lower things into chest freezers, so that's totally impractical for a conical.

I brew 2.5-3 gallon batches and keg the beer. I ferment in a small fridge and use two types of fermenter: First, a 4 gallon stainless pail with no attachments, and a glass lid with silicone seal that fits neatly around the rim. After primary, I transfer to a serving keg's liquid in post using an auto-siphon. I also ferment in 5 gallon corny kegs with a blow off tube attached to the gas post. I will transfer that to a smaller serving keg.

I prefer stainless, but have no issue with fermenting in a plastic bucket or carboy (have those too). I definitely think that conicals of any type cost too much for the value they provide, relative to other equipment in the brewery. I have no issue collecting yeast from all of the flat bottom FV types either.

If I was still bottling, I would have a spigot at the bottom of my FV and avoid the dreaded bottling bucket. You don't need a fancy conical for that, though.

I used a FastFerment for 2 years and 30 batches so I have plenty of experience with it. I bought it because of the ability to dump trub and harvest yeast. After only a few batches I found that I wasn't doing either. Found ways to minimize trub going in and started over building starters so no yeast harvesting. So the benefit of the collection ball and dump valve was of no use to me.
I found the biggest problems were the lid was difficult to get a good seal. A poor lid and seal design in my opinion. The size and shape make it a challenge to do fermentation temp control. I used a small freezer with a tall collar but getting a full fermenter out to keg or bottle required a hoist. PITA!
While cleaning the fermenter after batch #31 I dropped it and broke off the valve.
I decided to replace it with a stainless Brew Bucket. I didn't want to go full conical because of the cost, size and temp control. After comparing the SSBrewtech Brew Bucket BM edition and Anvil, I went with the SSBT and couldn't be happier. Very nice piece of equipment. Easy to use. Easy to clean. It will fit in a small fridge or freezer for temp control. I wish I would have spent a little more money the first time for stainless. The cost difference is minimal considering replacing a plastic fermenter in a few years.

I would focus on fermentation temp control next. The chest freezer and digital controller is the best solution, but if you can't do that now, you can try a big tub filled with water, put in your bucket or carboy, then swap in frozen jugs or bottles to keep the water temp below 65F.

You might consider one of the Speidel fermenters. I use a 60L and it has been great for 30 plus batches over the last 3 years. Its very easy to clean, the lid always seals, and it has excellent handles which support it's weight when full.

It is also customizable--nor Cal brewing sells a number of accessories for it. I've added a SS pickup tube and a 3 way SS ball valve with quick disconnect so I easily attach silicon tubing for racking.

If you are thinking of going to kegs, a Cornelius keg makes a great fermentor. When we started doing Lagers it was easy to control the fermentation. I am not sure about needing a "heat" side as the fermentor is a heat source. We just set the temp 2 degrees below the fermentation temp in the freezer and the beer came out fine. You can even get lids that have a place for an air lock although a grey gas with hose in a water filled jug works just as well. You can even carbonate in the keg. We used CO2 to transfer beer.

That being said, we now have 3 SS Conicals, with one being Glycol Cooled (Brewers Hardware). The other two are by Stout. I do like the Conicals as they are easy to use and easy to clean. Beer is gravity fed to a keg (we do not bottle and never have). We do have a controlled space with a room AC and a Cool Bot to control the temps of the regular Conicals. We no longer use the kegs to ferment.

There is also the Man with the most toys wins!

There is a podcast about the myth of fermentation temps that is worth the watch if you can find it. They say "it just doesn't matter about strict temp control" in so many words. Even "Lager" temps. is a "myth" according to the pod cast. I can't remember where I saw it.

As youre still a bit new might i suggest half batches? That makes a 5 gal corny a great fermenter. Get a 2.5 or 3 gal keg for serving and you’re in business.

Plus half batches theoretically means you brew twice as often which is good for getting more practice as well as good confirmation you really love to brew before you blow the cash on a fancy conical setup.

It also lets you do A/B tests on a recipe. Maybe different hop combos, different yeast, or different ferment temps on the same recipe, etc.

+2 for the stainless brew buckets. I switched from carboys to the brew bucket which saved me hours of combined cleanup time. It doesn't have a dump valve or collection vessel which I do want, however for 5 gallon batches, standard conicals are a bit overkill. The plastic ones are made for that, so they probably work great but I don't have any experience with those. I eliminated all plastic (aside from vinyl tubing) from my process, so they were not an option.

I'm totally new to brewing with only two brews and just yesterday drank my first pint of it. But I did a lot of research and think learned a lot of the basics. With that I saw agreement that ferm temp control was very important. I only spent $50 for an Inkbird and a heat mat to wrap my glass carboy. Worked like a charm. I ordered a nice new Anvil SS fermenter ($129) which is very similar to the brew bucket. It didn't arrive on time so I had to buy a glass carboy for my first two brews. I don't regret it. I found very useful to actually being able to see what was happening during fermentation. Do not plan to use the Anvil until I do two more. Cleaning y first glass carboy was a breeze. Thought it was going to be worst by the looks of it. Not sure why people complain about it. The Anvil could be a little easier with the big opening but can't see it taking half the time for a good cleaning as parts may need disassembly. So bottom line, I think yes a new SS fermenter could be nice but not critical. If $$ was not a problem I wold get a high end conical with fully integrated temp control. But I think a glass or Anvil or Brew Bucket are good and convenient to easily put inside a freezer. You can get those for $100 at Craiglist if you live in a warm place. Don't overthink this. Good luck!

I second the SS Brew Bucket. I have a couple glass carboys and picked up one of these for the last batch we did. I do miss seeing the actual fermentation but I feel like the cleaning of this thing will be easier. It looks nicer and it fits in my fridge. I can actually get two in there with a bucket for overflow.

I’ve been trying to convince myself I need a conical. Just cant justify it. But I’m still trying

Even ferm control I think is something that gets a little over emphasized. At least when it’s assumed that it means a freezer and temp controller. A tub to serve as a water bath for the classic plastic ferm bucket works great in my basement where ambient is 68F.

It’s just beer...we’re not growing babies in a lab

I’ve been trying to convince myself I need a conical. Just cant justify it. But I’m still trying

Even ferm control I think is something that gets a little over emphasized. At least when it’s assumed that it means a freezer and temp controller. A tub to serve as a water bath for the classic plastic ferm bucket works great in my basement where ambient is 68F.

It’s just beer...we’re not growing babies in a lab

Not everyone needs an active fermentation control but temperature control is very important during the first few days of fermentation. The tub of water with ice packs dropped into it works fine....but requires someone available to replace the ice packs to keep the temperature under control. Then again, not everyone has a cool place to ferment their beer. I'm fortunate to have a room where I can keep the ambient temp at 62-64 degrees and that works well without the tub of water. If I lived in apartment where the ambient temp was 72, the tub of water still works but takes more attention to keeping the temperature in the right range...enough so that at some point a freezer with controller makes sense.

Not everyone needs an active fermentation control but temperature control is very important during the first few days of fermentation. The tub of water with ice packs dropped into it works fine....but requires someone available to replace the ice packs to keep the temperature under control. Then again, not everyone has a cool place to ferment their beer. I'm fortunate to have a room where I can keep the ambient temp at 62-64 degrees and that works well without the tub of water. If I lived in apartment where the ambient temp was 72, the tub of water still works but takes more attention to keeping the temperature in the right range...enough so that at some point a freezer with controller makes sense.

Exactly....I’m just mentioning that the significance of having fermentation temperature control “equipment” is proportional to how contrary your ambient conditions are relative to the temp you want to ferment at.

Your example is exactly my point. Just because you don’t have a ferm chamber doesn’t mean that your not controlling ferm temperatures

This is my inexperience talking.....

That is something I will have to look into once I move back to the States.

Reading just those two statements would lead me to advise you not to put a lot of money into equipment at this time. Ferment in buckets and use this time improve your brewing skills and knowledge. Once back in the States you can then decide how best to proceed, or if it's even necessary to.

Thanks for all the feedback its truly appreciated. As of now I'm only doing Extract because it's easier to de with being overseas. I fully intend to go all grain and keg by the end of the year after we move back. I think the idea of an all in one system such as the Fast Ferment made me think less steps to worry about. So far by first to batches have been no problem. So will just keep brewing like I am until I can get back and invest in my setup for all grain and temp control.

I can understand wanting/needing adequate temp control. When I don’t have time to tend the swamp cooler or I am brewing a lager, I use the brew jacket, it isn’t perfect, but it doesn’t take up a lot of space, and it is easy to store away when not in use. The fermenter can be a bucket, car boy, or even a fast ferment conical.

I have SS 7 gallon conical and I love it. Super easy to clean, tri clamps are great, dont have to worry about light and I can put wheels on it. Can easily take samples or dump yeast/trub. Can heat/cool it easily if you need temp control(I just use a fridge).

I'll never go back to glass. For me, it was worth the cost. Cheers!

:)

I'm totally new to brewing with only two brews and just yesterday drank my first pint of it. But I did a lot of research and think learned a lot of the basics. With that I saw agreement that ferm temp control was very important. I only spent $50 for an Inkbird and a heat mat to wrap my glass carboy. Worked like a charm. I ordered a nice new Anvil SS fermenter ($129) which is very similar to the brew bucket. It didn't arrive on time so I had to buy a glass carboy for my first two brews. I don't regret it. I found very useful to actually being able to see what was happening during fermentation. Do not plan to use the Anvil until I do two more. Cleaning y first glass carboy was a breeze. Thought it was going to be worst by the looks of it. Not sure why people complain about it. The Anvil could be a little easier with the big opening but can't see it taking half the time for a good cleaning as parts may need disassembly. So bottom line, I think yes a new SS fermenter could be nice but not critical. If $$ was not a problem I wold get a high end conical with fully integrated temp control. But I think a glass or Anvil or Brew Bucket are good and convenient to easily put inside a freezer. You can get those for $100 at Craiglist if you live in a warm place. Don't overthink this. Good luck!
I can sum up carboy cleaning frustration with two words: Krausen ring.

Cleaning it takes second in a bucket. It takes... longer on a carboy.

Yes, I can literally use my sink spayer to remove the krausen ring without even scrubbing and watch it all wash away. LOVE IT:yes:

The choice is not just between conicals and glass carboys, though. If you want stainless steel at a reasonable cost, with the convenience of fermenter mobility and with the option to re-use as a serving vessel, try fermenting in Cornelius kegs.

You can easily ferment anything up to 4.x gallons in a 5 gallon corny. Attach a simple blow off tube to the gas post using a QD. You can even serve from the same keg if you use a top-draw system instead of a traditional dip tube.

That's what I thought. But what do I know as I only have one brew under my belt. But that ring went off fast on my 1st cleaning.

The choice is not just between conicals and glass carboys, though. If you want stainless steel at a reasonable cost, with the convenience of fermenter mobility and with the option to re-use as a serving vessel, try fermenting in Cornelius kegs.

You can easily ferment anything up to 4.x gallons in a 5 gallon corny. Attach a simple blow off tube to the gas post using a QD. You can even serve from the same keg if you use a top-draw system instead of a traditional dip tube.
This is something I've been thinking about doing. I'd like to read more about it and learn about the pros and cons. Any recommendations on links, youtube videos, etc.?

Are you interested in keg fermenting in general, or in serving with a top-draw system?

There are two of these available and I bought both to audition them. There is the Clear Beer Draught System, and this product from William's Brewing.

The CBDS is twice the price but it's also nicely engineered, heavier, and has an available screen to permit dry hopping in the serving keg. The other product is simpler and seems to work just as well most of the time. In my pre-usage tests with water, it would fail to pick up liquid in some situations, mostly due to length of the silicone tube, which could be rectified pretty easily. The tube is sized for 5 gallon kegs, and I use 2.5 and 3 gallon kegs a lot so this is a factor. Because the CBDS is heavier, the tube flexes better and I did not need to cut it to work in a smaller keg. The William's tube had to be trimmed to work properly. No big deal though.

I am currently trying these for the first time with beer. I fermented a simple pilsner recipe, 3 gallon batch, and split it into two 2.5 gallon kegs (1.5 gal each). I pitched lager yeast in one (it's still conditioning) and a Belgian yeast in the other (it's in the keezer carbing up).

I also brewed a 2.5 gallon batch of English bitter and put it into a 5 gallon keg. I just moved that one to my keezer.

So far I have nothing bad to say! I transferred from kettle to keg, pitched yeast, sealed, attached blow-off, eventually removed that and put the keg on tap. No transfers of any kind. The beer (pulled from the top) is nearly clear after 4 days, and tastes just like a green beer should. Time will tell if the stuff at the very bottom impacts flavor at all.

There are plenty of reviews about the CBDS, but very few mentions of serving from the fermenter-keg. It was one person in particular who claimed to have done it 20+ times that convinced me to go for it. Check out Angel's post in the comments on this Brulosophy review.

Are you interested in keg fermenting in general, or in serving with a top-draw system?

There are two of these available and I bought both to audition them. There is the Clear Beer Draught System, and this product from William's Brewing.

The CBDS is twice the price but it's also nicely engineered, heavier, and has an available screen to permit dry hopping in the serving keg. The other product is simpler and seems to work just as well most of the time. In my pre-usage tests with water, it would fail to pick up liquid in some situations, mostly due to length of the silicone tube, which could be rectified pretty easily. The tube is sized for 5 gallon kegs, and I use 2.5 and 3 gallon kegs a lot so this is a factor. Because the CBDS is heavier, the tube flexes better and I did not need to cut it to work in a smaller keg. The William's tube had to be trimmed to work properly. No big deal though.

I am currently trying these for the first time with beer. I fermented a simple pilsner recipe, 3 gallon batch, and split it into two 2.5 gallon kegs (1.5 gal each). I pitched lager yeast in one (it's still conditioning) and a Belgian yeast in the other (it's in the keezer carbing up).

I also brewed a 2.5 gallon batch of English bitter and put it into a 5 gallon keg. I just moved that one to my keezer.

So far I have nothing bad to say! I transferred from kettle to keg, pitched yeast, sealed, attached blow-off, eventually removed that and put the keg on tap. No transfers of any kind. The beer (pulled from the top) is nearly clear after 4 days, and tastes just like a green beer should. Time will tell if the stuff at the very bottom impacts flavor at all.

There are plenty of reviews about the CBDS, but very few mentions of serving from the fermenter-keg. It was one person in particular who claimed to have done it 20+ times that convinced me to go for it. Check out Angel's post in the comments on this Brulosophy review.

Thanks for the links. I was actually rolling the idea in my head possibly fermenting in my new 5g corny keg instead of my 7.9g Speidel fermenter. Two reasons - one, to eliminate a transfer and oxygen exposure. Secondly, I don't have a temperature controlled fermentation fridge, just a second fridge that I use for to keep my homebrew and store-bought beer cold. I'm fearful about putting the plastic Speidel in that to cold crash due to negative pressure. I don't really have the space for yet a third fridge or freezer to be used as a dedicated fermentation chamber. Anyway, just in the thinking-about-it stage at this time.

It's really simple to do. After all, a keg is just a cylindrical stainless steel vessel with some ports. Reduce your batch size to fit the keg, such as 4 gallons or less of wort in a 5 gallon keg. This is perfect for me since I brew 2.5-3 gallons most of the time. Others balk because it's not enough beer. Oh well!

Fill it from your kettle either through the dip tube with a liquid QD and tubing, or just through the opening at that point. Close the keg and shake it to aerate. Attach a blow off tube to the gas port QD with tubing running to a jar of sanitizer.

When you are ready to transfer to a serving keg, if not using the nifty top-draw products referenced above, you can use an auto-siphon just like you'd do from a carboy.

Or if you get more crafty, you can push the beer with CO2 from one keg to the other. I personally found that challenging. I had even bent my dip tubes away from the trub, but still could never reliably guess what level the trub would reach, so I experienced a couple of clogs and promptly stopped that. Others will tell you they have no trouble at all. That's homebrewing for you.

I think I'm going to give the Brew Demon Conical Fermenter a shot.

It's only $45 to start and see how things go.

BrewDemon Conical Fermenter - Amber https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DCC50BC/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Home brewer for 10+ years. I've used buckets, carboys and currently own a SS BrewTech 1/2bbl with temp control and a Spikes 10gal conical with temp control. If you have unlimited funds and need to buy something right now, I really like the Spikes equipment. Brewtech is nice too. I have an older model. Looks like the newer stuff is slightly more sturdy.

That being said, I agree with other members that there is other stuff to spend $$ on that will have a greater impact on your brewing. Like investing in all-grain equipment. Kegging equipment is awesome to have also. For most beers, a conical fermenter is not going to make the beer taste any better. It does make your brewery look cooler.

I think I'm going to give the Brew Demon Conical Fermenter a shot.

Certainly it's way cheaper than stainless steel anything, but read the Amazon reviews. I had one and it lasted for about 3 batches before the seam beneath the spigot cracked and it leaked. It's all plastic, thin plastic at that, and not great value at close to $50.

So I cant help myself lol, I am going to step up and get the Ss Brewtech Brewmaster 6.95 fermenting bucket. While my first 3 batches have turned out ok, I just want to add to my kit bag. When I return to the states I will definitely be asking for help on converting a fridge or freezer for temp control and kegerator. As well as swapping from extract to all grain.

So I cant help myself lol, I am going to step up and get the Ss Brewtech Brewmaster 6.95 fermenting bucket. While my first 3 batches have turned out ok, I just want to add to my kit bag. When I return to the states I will definitely be asking for help on converting a fridge or freezer for temp control and kegerator. As well as swapping from extract to all grain.
After reading this thread I ordered one of those yesterday. Should be here tomorrow and have a brew day planned for Sunday. [emoji3]

So I cant help myself lol, I am going to step up and get the Ss Brewtech Brewmaster 6.95 fermenting bucket.

Look at the Spikes CF5 fermenter also. It’s a little bit more money but you can do more with it like pressurized closed system transfers, 2” trub port and a giant 4” TC port up top for dry hopping, etc. It is incredibly well made and you will never need another vessel upgrade.

I own a CF10 and really enjoy brewing with it.

Whatever you decide is right for your brewery, good luck. Cheers!

Look at the Spikes CF5 fermenter also. It’s a little bit more money but you can do more with it like pressurized closed system transfers, 2” trub port and a giant 4” TC port up top for dry hopping, etc. It is incredibly well made and you will never need another vessel upgrade.

I own a CF10 and really enjoy brewing with it.

Whatever you decide is right for your brewery, good luck. Cheers!
WOW, well when I get settled and switch to all grain and Kegs I will have to keep that in mind. Baby steps for now until I can brew quality stuff consistently, or as consistently as possible lol

For those who want to improve their fermentation temp control without purchasing a chest freezer I have found another MacGuyver method that works well for my fermentation buckets and carboys (3 gal and 5 gal)

Old large ice chest like Coleman Extreme 120 or 150. Even better if the lid is gone. Place in bath tub or coolest spot in house.

Place fermenters in ice chest, place frozen water jugs with a cheap additive called Ice Extender in between the fermenters
Ice Extender keeps the jugs frozen longer requiring less frequent replacement during fermentation, maybe once a day depending on room temp. I keep these Ice Extender jugs in my freezer year round for brewing or keeping food and drinks cold on camping trips.

Make a Reflectix lid/cover with holes for blow off tubes or airlocks.
I have no problem keeping fermentation temps in the low to mid 60's. 70's are a breeze.

I started brewing with a water bath in the ice chest but found the water to be unnecessary with the ice extender jugs, ice chest and reflectix cover.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005Z7YZA4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Back