Confession Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never bottled a single beer. Started kegging as soon as I started brewing because I figured it'd be easier.

From my last batch there was a lot of trub and yeast with a bit of beer left on the bottom of the bucket. Rather than dump it, I up end the carboy dregs into a pitcher and then poir that into a 2 liter bottle. Looking at that bottle now it`s about half sediment and half beer.

Hell yeah I`ll drink that as soon as it carbs up.

I kegged up 12 gallons of Centennial Blonde yesterday. I just remembered that I had forgotten to oxygenate it before pitching the yeast. As for pitching the yeast I realized I only had one packet of Nottingham so I split that by weight on my scale and just sprinkled it over the wort. The samples I tried while kegging yesterday tasted great. I am not sorry one bit.

I have another confession. I am a HBT Like-Whore.

You know those Business Reply Mail envelopes that frequently come with junk mail?
I throw away the junk mail, but I keep those.

brm_pic.gif

Instead of sending back the credit card applications, order forms, etc that you're supposed to send in these, I send other stuff. Funny pictures. Random small objects. Cryptic messages. Copies of my anarchocommunist manifesto. Pages from my screenplay-in-progress starring TxBrew as a time-travelling wizard.

I don't know if anybody ever sees this stuff, but I like to think that somewhere, some lowly mail-room drone at some random company is having a really weird day, then he opens my Business Reply Letter, sees what's inside instead of the Plus-Sized Dildo order form (or whatever) he was expecting, and it just sends him right over the edge.

I tried to make 30 gallons of the same beer for a bachelor party... each 15 turned out slightly different and I will pretend I did that for a reason... i'm such a degenerate

Also, occasionally I forget to write down the OG in my notes. When I check FG and realize I forgot to write down the OG, sometimes I lie to myself and make one up.

Forget to write down the OG, psh. I religiously forget to take my OG, and then lie to myself about what I think it is.

You know those Business Reply Mail envelopes that frequently come with junk mail?
I throw away the junk mail, but I keep those.

brm_pic.gif

Instead of sending back the credit card applications, order forms, etc that you're supposed to send in these, I send other stuff. Funny pictures. Random small objects. Cryptic messages. Copies of my anarchocommunist manifesto. Pages from my screenplay-in-progress starring TxBrew as a time-travelling wizard.

I don't know if anybody ever sees this stuff, but I like to think that somewhere, some lowly mail-room drone at some random company is having a really weird day, then he opens my Business Reply Letter, sees what's inside instead of the Plus-Sized Dildo order form (or whatever) he was expecting, and it just sends him right over the edge.

Nice. Before kids I would send my dead batteries in these envelopes.

I finally broke down and ordered a finishing gravity hydrometer. I was so excited when it came. I placed it carefully in the brewery and on the next brewday, began to take it ever so carefully out of it's container and broke it right in half.

Not even one use.

I'm torn as to whether I should return it. I think I'm just a clod sometimes and don't deserve to play with certain toys.

I finally broke down and ordered a finishing gravity hydrometer. I was so excited when it came. I placed it carefully in the brewery and on the next brewday, began to take it ever so carefully out of it's container and broke it right in half.

Not even one use.

I'm torn as to whether I should return it. I think I'm just a clod sometimes and don't deserve to play with certain toys.

Hydrometers are built so they break by looking at them. At least that's my experience.

you know those business reply mail envelopes that frequently come with junk mail?
I throw away the junk mail, but i keep those.

brm_pic.gif

instead of sending back the credit card applications, order forms, etc that you're supposed to send in these, i send other stuff. Funny pictures. Random small objects. Cryptic messages. Copies of my anarchocommunist manifesto. Pages from my screenplay-in-progress starring txbrew as a time-travelling wizard.

I don't know if anybody ever sees this stuff, but i like to think that somewhere, some lowly mail-room drone at some random company is having a really weird day, then he opens my business reply letter, sees what's inside instead of the plus-sized dildo order form (or whatever) he was expecting, and it just sends him right over the edge.

best. Idea. Ever!

I'm still using the same hydrometer that my dad bought when he first started brewing... 15 years ago.

I kegged up 12 gallons of Centennial Blonde yesterday. I just remembered that I had forgotten to oxygenate it before pitching the yeast. As for pitching the yeast I realized I only had one packet of Nottingham so I split that by weight on my scale and just sprinkled it over the wort. The samples I tried while kegging yesterday tasted great. I am not sorry one bit.

I have another confession. I am a HBT Like-Whore.

FWIW per Lallemand you don't need to aerate if its a first pitch. Only if your pitching slurry from a previous batch.

Not even one use.

I have broken at least 7, the worst is the ones with the little black balls in them.. they go everywhere

It usually takes me about a week to clean my equipment after brewing.
there´s not been a batch in which I don´t make a mistake, from pitching my yeast at 115F (and having to re pitch after 24 hrs), running out of ice during the chilling, ending up with 6 gal instead of 5, forgetting to take the OG and droping stuff inside the boiling wort (at least I didn´t try to take it out with my bare hands like my brother in law). but always ended up with good to great beer, this is a very forgiving hobby.

I have spent the last 2 days at work reading this thread from start to finish. I felt so compelled that I created a profile just to say 'thank you' to HBT for the laughs.

Now I need to get some work done because I am totally in the weeds.

Now I am worried. Do you send kids in those envelopes now? What do you do with your dead batteries now?

These sentences just hurt my brain to read!

I pitch at 85 and then stick it in my fridge to take it down to ferment temp. By morning it's doing it's thing and I haven't tasted anything funky because of it.

I pitch at 85, seal the bucket and move on with my day.
My time is to precious to wait for it to cool!

I pitch at 85 and then stick it in my fridge to take it down to ferment temp. By morning it's doing it's thing and I haven't tasted anything funky because of it.

I do the same but at 80º Pitch then into the chamber and by morning it's at temp bubbling away.

Confession:

Every time someone talks about electric brewing systems my eyes gloss over and I stop paying attention. I feel as though electric brewers just like to throw out even more words on top of the already large brewing lingo. I firmly believe that some of them are just making up words on the fly.

Confession:

Every time someone talks about electric brewing systems my eyes gloss over and I stop paying attention. I feel as though electric brewers just like to throw out even more words on top of the already large brewing lingo. I firmly believe that some of them are just making up words on the fly.

My stove is electric (IE: not gas) does that count as Electric Brewing?
:goat:

Back