Confession Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excuse me, are you saying "meow?"

DrunkleJon said:
Do I look like a cat to you boy? Am I jumpin' around all nimbly bimbly from tree to tree? Am I drinking milk from a saucer? DO YOU SEE ME EATING MICE?

invictusbrew said:
Confession: I like quoting lines from popular movies and get excited when people catch on... maybe more excited than I should.

Vamptrump said:
Is that from Dumb and Dumber?

invictusbrew said:
Nailed it!

Oh, wow. Sorry, invictus, but it's actually from Super Troopers. And it was your movie reference! Have a cold one to soothe your shame. :)

Oh, wow. Sorry, invictus, but it's actually from Super Troopers. And it was your movie reference! Have a cold one to soothe your shame. :)

I was under the assumption that he was making a joke about my "confession" line :cross:
If he wasn't then I surely do feel shame, but not for thinking that line was from the wrong movie. ;)

I was under the assumption that he was making a joke about my "confession" line :cross:
If he wasn't then I surely do feel shame, but not for thinking that line was from the wrong movie. ;)

I was making the joke based on the "confession" line. Obviously the 'meow' is from When Harry Met Sally :p

When I started this thread I confessed that I never used blow off tubes. Today I confess that I have a mess in my fermentation chamber.

This amused me, sorry to hear about the mess.

If it makes you feel any better, I recently had a batch blow the bung out and spew krausen and I WAS using a blowoff tube

P.S. They don't work if they're clogged

I whipped up a coopers canned cerveza last night, spent the most time sanitizing, rest was 10min quick pour, airate and pitch. Didn't even take a hydrometer reading. Meh

I whipped up a coopers canned cerveza last night, spent the most time sanitizing, rest was 10min quick pour, airate and pitch. Didn't even take a hydrometer reading. Meh

I mean, you can just buy beer at the store...

Since I live in igloolik, I have to brew with canned LME.
This is pretty much how every brew session goes, now.

When chilling my wort in a 15 gallon kettle, I fill a cooler with water and ice and pump that through my wort chiller with a pond pump... Boiling to 70deg in about 15 minutes!!

I just did a pumpkin stout mashing 8.75 lb of pumpkin puree. Sparging was so much of a horror story that I gave up, topped the wort off with water and added DME to reach desired gravity.

Instead of sending back the credit card applications, order forms, etc that you're supposed to send in these, I send other stuff. Funny pictures. Random small objects. Cryptic messages. Copies of my anarchocommunist manifesto. Pages from my screenplay-in-progress starring TxBrew as a time-travelling wizard.

I do the same thing. If these companies can spend the money on marketing, I can flip that money to the post office to keep a guy employed (and to keep a guy employed who opens these things).

Complete waste of money, but I think it takes money from "the man" and keeps the small guys employed.

Since my tap water is ridiculously hot here in the desert I had trouble cooling wort. I bought a huge plate chiller and use ice water. It cools a 10 gallon batch to 45 degrees in like 7 minutes. If I could fgure out how to have a sexual relationship with it, I would.

I don't monitor the pH of my sparge runnings all the time. Usually I just monitor the gravity. Oops. Other than that, I'm very anal about my brewing. :fro:

However, I too am lazy about blowoff tubes. I usually just plop on an airlock and then kick myself when I have to replace it with a blowoff a day later. I never learn.

I don't pay attention to my gravity readings anymore (with the exception of a few brews). I normally just brew and look at my abv calculation on my beersmith recipe, and sample it and say "yeah close enough".

I don't pay attention to my gravity readings anymore (with the exception of a few brews). I normally just brew and look at my abv calculation on my beersmith recipe, and sample it and say "yeah close enough".

I mean does it really matter? As long as there is some booze :mug:

I am fighting a major no-holds-barred war with tiny furry creatures in the basement brew-studio. Poison boxes, sticky traps and traditional traps with peanut butter.

So far, peanut-butter one, mouse zero.

I am fighting a major no-holds-barred war with tiny furry creatures in the basement brew-studio. Poison boxes, sticky traps and traditional traps with peanut butter.

Put one into your hat, and see if it improves your cooking skills.
Or borrow a cat.

Confession - we've gone several (5 or more) brew days without any issues and hitting our expected efficiencies or a little higher. I'm guessing we're about due for a major screw-up.

Try grape jelly, mice LOVE it! I get a dozen every day in traps, never found anything like it.

Try grape jelly, mice LOVE it! I get a dozen every day in traps, never found anything like it.

I will try that!

...but I confess I cannot imagine catching a dozen mice every day. Do you have a leaky grain silo at your place?

I don't monitor the pH of my sparge runnings all the time. Usually I just monitor the gravity. Oops. Other than that, I'm very anal about my brewing. :fro:

However, I too am lazy about blowoff tubes. I usually just plop on an airlock and then kick myself when I have to replace it with a blowoff a day later. I never learn.

I still haven't gotten to the point of doing much pH testing at all, and two of my beers placed in competition, so I don't feel too bad. Also I rarely check pre-boil gravity anymore, too time consuming trying to get the temperature right on the sample.

Edit: I don't mean my comment on pH to mean I don't think it's important, just that I haven't gotten to that level of understanding. I am by no means a master at brewing and am claiming to know better.

I still haven't gotten to the point of doing much pH testing at all, and two of my beers placed in competition, so I don't feel too bad. Also I rarely check pre-boil gravity anymore, too time consuming trying to get the temperature right on the sample.

Refractometer. Faster, only takes a couple drops, and you can cool said couple drops in seconds.

Are temp correction calculators considered inaccurate? I've always temp corrected and came back later and they have been damn near dead on every time.

Just curious.

Are temp correction calculators considered inaccurate? I've always temp corrected and came back later and they have been damn near dead on every time.

Just curious.

Conventional wisdom around here is that the corrections are better if your sample is close to the calibration temp of the hydro, and get progressively worse as you get farther from the calibration temp. Your experience (anecdote) would say maybe another bit of conventional wisdom should bite the dust. But, we should have more data before we declare it dead.

Brew on :mug:

Conventional wisdom around here is that the corrections are better if your sample is close to the calibration temp of the hydro, and get progressively worse as you get farther from the calibration temp. Your experience (anecdote) would say maybe another bit of conventional wisdom should bite the dust. But, we should have more data before we declare it dead.

Brew on :mug:

Yeah, definitely was not saying my word is law, just what I have casually observed during my brew days. My first thought was to question the calculators, but after them matching up (if not, very closely) numerous times in excess of 60°+ calibration temp, I just started going with it.

Bottled 20L of coopers cerveza.

SWMBO was ranting to me about life problems and my laziness for literally 2 hours... So I drank 1.5 litres right from fermentor and called it a night.. I'm feelin goooood.

Back