Conditioning in the Corny

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blugrazz

Reaction score
For conditioning in the keg is it sufficient to just purge the air in the headspace without sealing the keg under pressure. I only have a hand charger available at the time and certain that I cannot get a good seal with it alone. Will there be enough residual gassing off that would prevent oxidation. Its probably at FG now.

You want to seal the lid. A cartridge charger should have enough in it to purge the headspace as well as seal the lid.

To be clear, I would be putting the cap on the corny (i.e. sealing) and running the pressure out of the hand charger as much as I can. So, its sounds like I should be fine.

Yes, use the hand charger to seal the closed lid.
This will place a protective layer of Co2 onto the beer surface, and seal the lid (they don't seal without pressure).

For conditioning in the keg is it sufficient to just purge the air in the headspace without sealing the keg under pressure. I only have a hand charger available at the time and certain that I cannot get a good seal with it alone. Will there be enough residual gassing off that would prevent oxidation. Its probably at FG now.

So you are conditioning with sugar?

Be very careful with the hand charger. Because of the small headspace you can exceed the relief valve pressure in a few seconds.

Latest posts

Back