Concrete Brew Room Countertop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jschnyderite

Reaction score
Starting to plan my basement brew room. I see a lot of stainless counters, but was going a more DIY route. Want to avoid wooden counter so it'll last a bit longer and was thinking concrete on a wood base? Anyone done or seen that? Any cons?

In design of your brew room, any things you think should be included? or you wish you had incorporated? I'm thinking to go pretty simple with some storage under the counter and one section lower than the other for easier transfer of liquid. I also may want my counter to be a bit lower than kitchen cabinets generally are if I am moving heavy objects. Can you share some about your brew room and whether you think these are good ideas?

If you have a basement brew room, how finished is your space? What did you opt to use? I am using an unfinished side of my basement, and am wondering if I can get away with some sealer on the concrete walls + floor and paint on the one wooden wall. I was thinking to leave the ceiling exposed.

Thanks!!

I've heard sealing concrete counter tops needs to happen often depending on use and acidic liquids make it worse.
A concrete counter top might be hard to keep sanitized.

I've heard sealing concrete counter tops needs to happen often depending on use and acidic liquids make it worse.
A concrete counter top might be hard to keep sanitized.

Are there other materials I should consider? I'm not looking to pay stainless counter prices...how about plywood with sheet of zinc or something? I would think that would prevent liquid sucking up into the counter. Not sure about sanitation..

Last edited:
If you’re building something specific and tailored to you might I suggest making use of pumps to move liquid around? No one likes lifting things any more than is necessary, but as most of the weight we lift tends to be liquid, why not incorporate a pump or three into your brew house to make things a bit easier?

If you’re building something specific and tailored to you might I suggest making use of pumps to move liquid around? No one likes lifting things any more than is necessary, but as most of the weight we lift tends to be liquid, why not incorporate a pump or three into your brew house to make things a bit easier?

My plan is to build custom with staggered heights so I can easily transfer liquid. Just trying to figure out materials to use as I want to try to frame it out this weekend. Concrete is a lot heavier than ply/sheet metal.

If you use glass carboys then concrete is a poor choice. They don't play well together.
If you use all stainless steel then it might not matter.
They have epoxy paints for basement floors that is water proof and resilient. Its good stuff.
Personally I like stainless counters

I was thinking the same thing as @lump42
Make it out of plywood and the use poured epoxy to seal it. You could dye the epoxy to whatever cooler you want.

I have stainless around my brewing and fermenting area. They are really pretty affordable. Some came from a local restaurant supply, some delivered from webrestaurantsupply.com. The other side is a 2-layer bar area. The lower area behind the bar is off the shelf Home Depot cabinets with a standard laminate top and the upper area is butcher block. Both of those were delivered from Ikea and I can't even begin to stress that I wouldn't do that again. @#$%ing nightmare.

Agree on concrete (or stone) and glass being an issue. Not going to take much to break a carboy, flask, or hydrometer. Though to be fair 4" of foam you'd probably still break a hydrometer :D

I did a concrete countertop a few years ago. It’s relatively easy to do, fully customizable, and a great conversation piece. I used three coats of high end sealant to get it to sink grade impermeability. I will be doing this again for sure.
A6935585-8AE5-443A-B978-6A1FC7640B15.jpeg

Sealing the concrete is for sure a challenge, but over time I'd be more concerned about all the wood structure needed to hold it up. Stainless tables are lightweight and have the advantage of being moveable as well as being easy to hose down. Concrete countertops are gorgeous, but maybe save that for when you want to build a bar..

I did a concrete countertop a few years ago. It’s relatively easy to do, fully customizable, and a great conversation piece. I used three coats of high end sealant to get it to sink grade impermeability. I will be doing this again for sure.View attachment 689584
Oh man that's freaking gorgeous. Can you share some pics of the end product? Been wanting to try this for years, your pics might help me convince the wife to finally let me do it.

I got my stainless brew stand table for about $210 with wheels. It's not commercial industrial quality but the price was reasonable. It's 72" by I think 24". Concrete could be nice though.

Before you get too far ahead though what type of system do you plan to use? I ended up shortening my table legs to lower the work surface for electric brewing with keggles. I have two pumps so the system is horizontal. Pumps are on a shelf underneath.

A sink is a super useful feature.

Latest posts

Back