Concerts timeline

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steveruch

Reaction score
I just realized that the first concert I ever went to was the Beach Boys in 1965 and the last concert I ever sent to was the Beach Boys in 2008.

I can't remember when I went to the concerts that I attended :p.
But I remember that there were a couple big ones at soldiers field in Chicago, I think they were part of the "World Series of Rock".
Ted Nugent, Lynrd Skynrd, Rolling Stones, 38 Special.

I do remember seeing Foghat at the Aragon Ball Room ~1977? I think UFO was the warm-up act.
And the last concert that Led Zeplin played at the Chicago stadium (78?). We had tickets for the next one a couple years later but it was cancelled due to John Bonham's death.

Later, Springsteen at Rosemont, (very impressive with Clarence Clemons) Seager (Poplar Creek).

Fine details escape me however...

First concert I attended was the Grass Roots, in 1969. The most recent was Foreigner, about 6 months ago. In between, well, I’ve lost count, but at an average of 4 per year I’ve been to over 200.

We‘re going to see Marty Stuart and his Fabulous Superlatives (a great band name, BTW) in a small (1500 seat) venue next week and I’m going, with my daughter and SIL, to see ZZ Top, for the second time, in a 10000 seat arena the end of May.

A favorite, and fairly recent, concert memory. In January of 2000, I saw Bob Seger at what was the next to last performance on his farewell tour. The tour had been postponed about 3 times due to Seger’s recovery from back surgery. It was a sold out show (10000 +) and there was much anticipation to finally get to see The Man. The band took the stage at the stroke of 8PM. When the applause died down, Seger said “We’ve got a new album coming out so here’s some new music”. They proceeded to play 3 songs which nobody had ever heard, and each was followed with polite golf clapping. Then, without any introduction, the keyboard player launched into the piano riff which opens Old Time Rock ‘n’ Roll. Ten thousand people stood up at once and for the next two hours he band didn’t let up. The final encore was an extended jam of Rock ‘n’ Roll Never Forgets, with everybody in the band doing a solo. Big, dirty, fun.

I can't remember what band was playing (based on the venue's concert history I'm going to say Jethro Tull), but I do remember it was winter 1975 and it was a long 2 hour drive each way in a VW Beetle with a broken heater.

After that it was both Renaissance and Emerson, Lake and Palmer in 1977.

Since then I've seen Genesis 5 times and Phil Collins at least twice. I also took my daughter to see Trans-Siberian Orchestra every year from the time she was 6 until just before she got married, 2003 through 2019.

I just realized that the first concert I ever went to was the Beach Boys in 1965 and the last concert I ever sent to was the Beach Boys in 2008.
I'm not much of a concert goer. I saw Canned Heat in 66 or 67. And the Beach Boys in between 1965 and 2008 in 1995.

I'm not much of a concert goer.
Well considering that I listed pretty-much all of the concerts I have attended in the past 45 years I'd say I am not either.
Though I am glad I attended the ones that I did.

I always preferred the big outdoor parties that we used to have on the local farms.
Get a couple local bands together and a good supply of beer and voila a crowd gathers and has a hell of a good time, with no admission fee!

my first concert was metallica in 1986 when my dad was working at a local discotheque that was used as a set for a dutch music tv show(i was 8, and it was amazing), first real stadium concert was pink floyd in 1994.
Mostly I tend to go to festivals though, last few years mostly to "tuska metal fest" in helsinki.

I really can't remember my first concert, but it was probably one of the first Day On the Green's here in the SF Bay Area... that would be the mid-Seventies. My last big concert was U2 and didn't enjoy it at all. I'm over these huge stadium shows... can't see the performers and the music was not clear. These days I'd much rather check out a good blues fest.

I'm 54. I went to my first rock concert in 1986; Rush, Power Windows. Every once in a while I try to remember, in order, every concert I've been to, and I always tend to miss one. Here goes, not in order because beer: Rush, The Who, Boston (twice), Alabama, The Pretenders, Aerosmith, Heart (at the old ColourBoxx in Seattle, I was about 3 feet from Ann Wilson), The Stones, Tom Petty, Steve Miller, Rod Stewart, Concrete Blonde, Cherry Poppin Daddies (one hell of a show at the old Fenix Underground in Seattle), Styx, Bad Company, Billy Squier (the previous three all in one show at the Columbia Gorge), Billy Joel, and just last year Green Day with Weezer and Fallout Boy. The one concert regret I have is never getting to see Queen; easily my favorite band, but they stopped touring in 87 or 88, after Freddie was diagnosed. Would have been awesome to see.

First concert I attended was The Edgar Winter group, somewhere around 1972. Over the years I've seen many of the big names - Stones, Floyd, Who, Springsteen, Steely Dan, etc. I've seen Alan Parsons somewhere around 60 times, and although the Alan Parsons Project released their first album in 1976 they never really toured until 1995. I have a list, I believe on my other laptop.

I saw the "Beach Boys" play at a ball field many years ago. I think Mike Love was the only original left. The Warmth of the Sun and Sloop John B are my faves from them. When I was young we had all the LPs.

1st concert: Molly Hatchet (~ 1980)
Last Concert: Here Come the Mummies

First concert was Guns n' Metallica '91 in San Diego. I think Body Count was the supporting act.
Most recent show was Rehab in Dallas.
In between is too many to list, but included Korn, FFDP, Steve Miller, Green Jelly, Primus, Nirvana, Psychostick, and one time Alanis Morrissette because you do stupid things for girls you're seeing.

First concert without chaperone = 311 in Detroit (1995)
Last concert=Clutch in Flint, MI (Machine Shop 2021, no masks, no B.S., rocked the house and it was FRIKKIN AWESOME!

Ive learned to seek out the small venues when your favorite band is in town. Get the more personal experience, it is worth it!

In 1965 one of the opening acts was Sonny & Cher. Another was the Kinks.
Screenshot_20220330-114052.png

First concert Bryan Adams w/ Steel Pulse. Duluth, MN around late 80's. Not my favorite music but we didnt' get many options. I skipped a trip to see U2 in the Twin Cities around then that I've always regretted.

I've probably been to at least 100 concerts. Mostly at First-Ave here in the Cities where I went to college and still live now. Skinny Puppy, KMFDM, Front Line Assembly, Nine Inch Nails, Nirvana, Soul Asylum, Ministry, Garbage... too many to list.

Last one was I think Metric and quite a few years ago now. First came the baby, then Covid.

First concert was Guns n' Metallica '91 in San Diego. I think Body Count was the supporting act.
Most recent show was Rehab in Dallas.
In between is too many to list, but included Korn, FFDP, Steve Miller, Green Jelly, Primus, Nirvana, Psychostick, and one time Alanis Morrissette because you do stupid things for girls you're seeing.

meh, I'm a metalhead myself, but wouldn't turn my nose up at an alanis morrisette concert, she's pretty decent and concerts are fun, now most rap or country you couldn't drag me to...

My first concert was Guns N Roses in '91 - first show with Gilby Clarke, and IIRC the first after the Illusions albums were released - they'd been touring that spring and summer before release and took a break for a while which is when Izzy left.
Most recent was a Pink Floyd tribute I've seen a bunch of times, just a couple weeks before "all this" began and everything shut down.
I've been to dozens in between, probably hundreds if you count small club shows. I'm as much a music geek as I am a beer geek.
ETA: The Guns N Roses / Metallica tour was summer '92 - they had Body Count for part of it and Faith No More for part. I tried to get to that one but my friend who claimed he had an in to get tickets spaced on me.

First real concert was Van Halen in 1985. Last concert was Foreigner 2 weeks ago. Saw some Irish bands at recent Celtic festival but dunno if that counts. Next up is Jason Isbel and Cheryl Crow in a couple months- these are at small amphitheaters

Last edited:
I'm 54. I went to my first rock concert in 1986; Rush, Power Windows. Every once in a while I try to remember, in order, every concert I've been to, and I always tend to miss one. Here goes, not in order because beer: Rush, The Who, Boston (twice), Alabama, The Pretenders, Aerosmith, Heart (at the old ColourBoxx in Seattle, I was about 3 feet from Ann Wilson), The Stones, Tom Petty, Steve Miller, Rod Stewart, Concrete Blonde, Cherry Poppin Daddies (one hell of a show at the old Fenix Underground in Seattle), Styx, Bad Company, Billy Squier (the previous three all in one show at the Columbia Gorge), Billy Joel, and just last year Green Day with Weezer and Fallout Boy. The one concert regret I have is never getting to see Queen; easily my favorite band, but they stopped touring in 87 or 88, after Freddie was diagnosed. Would have been awesome to see.
Love the Gorge Amphitheater. Saw Dave Matthews Band there. My first concert was Nirvana with the Breeders at the Omni in Atlanta on their In Utero Tour. Have seen a bunch of bands here in Portland at the smaller theathers but my last concert I saw before COVID was Tool.

My first few concerts were in the mid 70s. Gallagher and Lyle, Joan Armatrading, The Buzzcocks and Elvis Costello. It was a time of change! Most recent was a couple of weeks ago, a chap called Arun Ghosh. Indian inspired jazz clarinet, with British jazz musicians in a quartet.

All British acts those above. But I have tickets for Roberto Fonseca and Jim White in May and June.

I saw Crowded House back in ~87 during their first big tour, the opening act was Paul Ubana Jones who I enjoyed more than the main act.
Through an extraordinary confluence of events I ended up driving him home from a movie set a few years ago and got to talk to him about it.

First concert: Three Dog Night in 1972. Also saw Steppenwolf around that time.

Had a friend in the record business, and he got us free tickets and backstage for a few: The Who 1982, Styx 1981 (Paradise Theater tour), and Alabama in the mid-80s.

Favorite was Zappa in '80, saw them again in '84. Still have the 1980 tour poster, framed and on the wall of my home office. My wife keeps bugging me to get rid of it, as it kind of creeps her out, but I won't part with it.
20220404_200907.jpg

Never was/is a concert goer. First ever concert was Blue Oyster Cult at the Philadelphia Spectrum in 1979/1980. A band called The Cats opened for them. Saw them a few more times at the same venue once with Foghat as co-headliner, and once on New Years Eve at the Tower Theater In Philly. Saw The Hooters and .38 Special play at the Great Adventure Ampitheather, Beach Boys at Yankee Stadium, Neville Brothers in Atlantic City, Eddie Money and Three Doors Down at the NJ Balloon Festival (if those count). Three Doors Down was/is a huge favorite of mine as more 90s+ contemporary bands go.

Just got home from a Marty Stuart concert. His band, The Fabulous Superlatives, are aptly named. They did everything from Jimmie Rodgers to Jimmy Page with folk, bluegrass, country, rock, gospel and the blues in between. I think I can die happy now. Tonight I heard an acoustic version of “Wipeout” with the lead played on a standup bass. At about 140 bpm. :cool:

I’ve seen a lot of remarkably talented folks perform over the last 50+ years but the four men onstage tonight might have been the most amazingly talented, both instrumentally and vocally, that I’ve ever seen on one stage at the same time. If they come to your town they’re definitely worth the ticket.

Marty Stuart is not a name lots of people are familiar with. Great singer/songwriter for many years. My first concert was Blood Sweat and Tears. I was a Sophomore in high school. 72 or 73, my older sister drove me and my date. Many, maybe hundreds of shows since then. We saw Yonder Mountain String Band in Austin last week.

Marty Stuart is not a name lots of people are familiar with. Great singer/songwriter for many years. My first concert was Blood Sweat and Tears. I was a Sophomore in high school. 72 or 73, my older sister drove me and my date. Many, maybe hundreds of shows since then. We saw Yonder Mountain String Band in Austin last week.
Marty Stuart is nothing short of fantastic. He's forgotten more about music than most singer-songwriters have ever known. If you haven't seen Ken Burn's series Country Music, you owe it to yourself to watch it. Marty Stuart shows off his musicality as well as his in-depth knowledge. It's a real Master Class.

BS&T: saw them early on in 1970. Not my first concert, but it was the first time I'd taken my future (and current [only]) wife out on a date. David Clayton-Thomas and the band put on quite a show. Friends became lovers. Memorable, for sure.

Blood Sweat and Tears played at my high school back in the early 70's. It was outdoors, with the stage set up on the football field and attendees sitting on the bleachers. Those who didn't want to pay the couple bucks admission sat on "cheapskate hill" overlooking the football stadium.

Blood Sweat and Tears played at my high school back in the early 70's. It was outdoors, with the stage set up on the football field and attendees sitting on the bleachers. Those who didn't want to pay the couple bucks admission sat on "cheapskate hill" overlooking the football stadium.
I saw Strawberry Alarm Clock going through a set at a barn back in the sixties.
I was with my aunt and mom and my aunt knew who they were.
They were to play a private party for the owner and I got to watch them play Incense & Peppermints.
I was impressed. I still like that song..

I saw REO Speedwagon but it wasn't my idea to go. That's it.
I would go see Meute or something similar. If you haven't heard of them, "Hey, Hey" gives one a good idea what they're about.

I saw David Crosby and Graham Nash at Civic Auditorium in Santa Cruz in the late 70s, sitting/standing on the floor in front of the stage. Neil Young showed up and played with for the last half of the show. It turned into a big sing along with the whole auditorium towards the end. That was a fun one.

I saw Tommy James and the Shondells warming-up at a VFW hall back in the mid sixties.
Told my best friends sister they were there and she lost it!

I saw Tommy James and the Shondells warming-up at a VFW hall back in the mid sixties.
Told my best friends sister they were there and she lost it!

I also remember standing outside and listening to the Cryan Shames play at the Blue Village in Westmont IL.

Not sure how this post went astray...

Back