Concerned about high FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgilmour

Reaction score
Hey all -

Got a question that I figured would be an easy answer for most of you. I recently started brewing and picked up a Brewers Best Nut Brown Ale extract kit. The kit called for a OG of 1.059 - 1.063, although mine was 1.07... I found out after some research this could have been due to the fact I didn't get enough oxygen into the wort when adding the water.

Anyways, I have had it fermenting since July 9th, and was hoping to bottle this weekend, July 23rd (2 weeks total). I have taken readings via the hydrometer and for the past 3 days it has been 1.02 (the kit calls for 1.01-1.016 as a FG)

My question is should I be concerned about this high number if it's still 1.02 by saturday? It appears the fermentation process has stopped as I have been watching the airlock every day, and as I noted it has been at 1.02 the past 3 days. My real fear is the bottles exploding after I put the priming sugar in and bottle them up.

Anyone have any info on this?

Thanks and this forum is awesome!

AIRLOCK ACTIVITY IS NOT AN INDICATOR OF THE COMPLETION OF FERMENTATION!!!!

With a high OG for this batch, it sounds like fermentation is not done. You may have a stuck fermentation.

Give the ferementer a slight STIR to get some yeast back in to suspension and let it sit for another week.

I agree with letting it sit. You have a hydro, if it's stable after a few days, it could be at FG. Sometimes extracts can be stubborn about getting too far below 1.02. Rouse it and let it sit another week, but don't be too concerned if it doesn't drop much farther.

Just wanted to followup on this. Its been 5 days since checking the OG at 1.02 and it is still at 1.02 as of today.

I opened today to check and noticed some white stuff on the top of the beer which I have never noticed before when checking the OG. My guess is an infection.... So I'm wondering if it would be safest to start bottling...

I attached a video of the stuff on top here:

What do y'all think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just as an update. Bottled the batch (got 46 bottles) and used 5oz priming sugar w/ 2cups water. Got one case sitting in a cooler and the other in a plastic bag in a 20gal bucket. Wish me luck for no bottle bombs!

Latest posts

Back