Conan x WLP644 hybrid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just propp'd up my second vial from last year. Last step was 1.04 starter wort, non-agitated at about 22C. It fermented to 1.006 and dropped pretty nicely.

Batch underway. I probably pitched around 1m/ml/P, so a bit high. The FFT I pulled after 24H has a wicked creamy krausen and smells of pineapple, citrus, and some stone fruit. We'll see how this stuff does with real wort.

I have the hybrids safely stored in our -80 freezer, so anyone interested in trying these can send me an email (my username here at HBT at gmail.com).

I have the hybrids safely stored in our -80 freezer, so anyone interested in trying these can send me an email (my username here at HBT at gmail.com).

Do you have any sense of the stability of your hybrid WLP644 x Conan strain? I see you sporulated the hybrid, but do you notice any change over successive generations? I.e. have you noticed any reduction of either moiety? I'm thinking about the section here, "Hybrid genome function and stability" - Novel brewing yeast hybrids: creation and application

Do you have any sense of the stability of your hybrid WLP644 x Conan strain? I see you sporulated the hybrid, but do you notice any change over successive generations? I.e. have you noticed any reduction of either moiety? I'm thinking about the section here, "Hybrid genome function and stability" - Novel brewing yeast hybrids: creation and application

I haven't tested long term stability, but the hybrid is likely to be less stable than the parent strains. Hybrids within a species (e.g. here between two S. cerevisiae strains) are often more stable than hybrids between species). However, as the hybrid is probably hexaploid (from the tetraploid Conan and diploid WLP644), there will certainly be some genome reduction in the long run. We did follow the genomic changes in some of our lager hybrids after 30 consecutive batch fermentations in high ethanol media, and typically saw some loss of the S. eubayanus genome. Enhanced Wort Fermentation with De Novo Lager Hybrids Adapted to High-Ethanol Environments

Latest posts

Back