complication with late DME addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StallionMang

Reaction score
The other night, I brewed an IPA using DME, and I decided to save 4 of the 7 lbs. until the last 5 minutes of the boil. However, I ran into an issue. 5 min. was not nearly enough time to get all that DME dissolved. It was in big clumps that were difficult to break up. So after flameout, I put the brewpot into an icebath and continued to stir the wort to make the DME dissolve. It took me the full length of the cooling time to get every last bit dissolved.

The thing that worries me is that I was stirring pretty vigorously at times, and I read in Palmer's book that you don't want to expose the wort to too much oxygen until the temp is below 80 F. Otherwise, oxidation can occur, and the final product can end up tasting either like "wet cardboard" or "sherry". So he recommends stirring very gently in a circular motion.

What do you guys think? Does my beer stand a chance, or is it probably going to suck?

Thanks,

Robert

I wouldn't worry. I mostly do late additions and the stirring has never seemed to have any ill effects. The beers have all tasted great.

RDWHAHB!

I did a batch of EdWorts (PM) Haus Pale this PM. I added the first pound of DME with about 25 minutes left on the boil, and barely got the fifth disolved in time for the 15 minute hops to land in boiling water.

Just FWIW, I expect your beer will come out fine. If you really got a LOT of oxygen in there the yeast will reproduce a long time to a big population and then BANG - ferment.

I tried this with my last batch. I used a large whisk and added the first 3lbs at about 20 minutes, I just poured slowly (pouring form a bowl works well, and keeps the extract from clumping up on the bag) while whisked the crap out of it, then took a minute or two to get any clumps out. I then added the moss and the last 3lbs of extract at 15 minutes, got it whisked in then added hops at 10 minutes. Going 5 minutes or so over the time should not hurt the wort. It took this batch about 24 hours to ferment out, going from an OG 1.051 to 1.009. So far the late addition worked out well and at least in the test tube the color is what I was shooting for.

Whiskey® said:
(pouring form a bowl works well, and keeps the extract from clumping up on the bag)
+1

I couldn't believe how quickly the steam from the wort caused the DME to stick together. It's very hard to avoid, but it's much easier getting clumped-up DME off a bowl than out of a bag. One more brewing lesson learned...

Bags are no problem at all. ;)

Just take 1 C warm water and place it in the bag.

GENTLY squeeze/fold it vertically (opening on top) until the water level comes near the opening...release grip and repeat. This'll dissolve all the malt in the bag...pour into pot. :D :D

is boiling off DMS a big concern in extract brewing, or just when doing AG batches.

cuz if it wasn't dissolved, it wasn't boiling off the DMS...possible cabbage off flavor possible? yes or no?

Don't worry about it, hot side airation requires a lot of o2, and if you are not planning on storing this thing for a long time don't worry about it. If you stir vigorously and get air in the wort while it is boiling, the boil removes the air out of suspension. Next time try adding the DME at 15 to 20 minutes before flame out. And unless you have already added your aroma hops, an extra 5 minutes of boil to dissolve the DME won't kill you.

Thanks to everyone for your helpful and encouraging replies.

I'm psyched because the fermentation process appears to have been picture perfect. It took approximately 48 hours, and during the peak, it was fermenting so powerfully, it pushed wort out through the airlock.

That Safale-04 yeast is aggressive stuff. :rockin:

Robert

Is anyone prepared to talk about *ME adds vs hops utilization?

I am wondering about adding all my DME just after the 30minute / flavor hops and just getting the wort back to boil before the 15 minute hops go in.

It seems like my utilization on the 30minute hops is going to be especially low compared to the 60 minute and 15 minute aditions.

Barring commentary to the contrary I think next time I will run the boil down to 15 minutes reamining - then stop the timer while I get the *ME dissolved - and then restart the timer when the wort comes back to boiling. Does that make sense / sound reasonable?

Do you have Charlie P's TCJOHB book?

If you have the second edition there's a chart on page 268...I do mostly DME and some grain so this chart is very important to my process.

Basically it says that in 1 gal of water if you add 1 lb of DME and 1 oz of hops and boil for 60 mins the MAXIMUM bitterness you can extract from the hops is 30%. If you add more malt the gravity will go up but your hops extraction goes down. This results in less bittering which equates to a sweet brew.

If you have the 3rd edition it's on page 258...basically the same chart...

To backtrack a little and I'll list a few things you may not be aware of:

1. Most LME is pre-hopped. Boiling longer MAY impart more bitterness than expected. Boiling also carmelizes the wort and makes your brew too dark.

2. DME is NOT pre-hopped. Adding it late in the process will not add too much color to the brew, resulting in a lighter colored brew.

With that said, I brew mostly 1.5 gal batches with only 1 lb of malt for 1 hour with all the bittering hops I need. I boil for 45 mins then add the remaining DME and the brew's stay light in color.

You need to practice a few processes and figure out what works best for your situation.

Good luck. ;)

I do most of my brews using late extract addition, what i do is to disolve 1 pound DME in 3 gals of water and boil it with hops and everything else, meanwhile i dissolve the rest of DME in 1 - 1.5 gals of water at around 120 degrees and add this disolved mix to the last 5 - 10 minutes just to get it to reach around 180 degrees and then cool it. works perfect for me

I get very light colored brews and good hop utilization.

:mug:

I'm doing a recipe that calls for 6 pounds of DME in the boil. I'm going to try to add 1.5 pounds every ten to fifteen minutes. I'll try using a bowl, that sounds a lot easier than using the bag.

i too am going to try this method of late Me additions. but is it o.k. to add the extract while boiling? as long as it is being stirred in slowly? i'm o.k. w higher ibu's, cause i like em.

nchomebrew said:
i too am going to try this method of late Me additions. but is it o.k. to add the extract while boiling? as long as it is being stirred in slowly? i'm o.k. w higher ibu's, cause i like em.
You could do that, but be careful of scorching it. I use LME and it definately sinks straight to the bottom and if the burner is on look out. (Ask me how I know). DME might be better, but just be careful.

Back