Competition recipe question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsniegocki

Reaction score
I've never been much interested in entering a competition, as I'm happy enough to just drink my beer and share with friends. However, I know that entering one (and receiving the feedback) would help me make better beer.

So, question: I've not really come up with my "own" recipes... I've usually either followed someone else's exactly, or perhaps modified it slightly. Is it considered bad form to enter a competition using someone else's recipe? What do folks usually do?

A recipe doesn't make the beer; you and the yeast do. If 10 different brewers make the same beer, they will all taste slightly different.

Go ahead and enter the beer that you have brewed. Judges don't see the recipe, don't know the recipe, don't know who wrote the recipe. It's totally okay to enter a beer you brewed using someone else's recipe, nothing wrong with it at all.

Competitions are based on the quality of the beer brewed for the style category the beer is entered into rather than the origin of the recipe. It would be good form to acknowledge to the recipe creator that you used their exact recipe and won gold.

Back