Competition Categories

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chichum

Reaction score
Hey all - I'm usually not very good at picking categorires for my beers. Clearly I need to learn this a bit.

I plan to enter a few beers into the local one in DC. The beers I'm entering are the following. I have put the categories I think they are, can you confirm?

A clone of Victory/DFH Saison du Buff - 25B Saison ---- Would this be right or would it be a vegetable/spice since it's cooked with lemon thyme, sage and rosemary (which dominates the flavor)?

A clone of Mad Elf - 18E - Belgian Strong Dark Ale ---- again, since it's fermented with a very large amount of cherries, would this go into vegetable/spice?

A clone of DFH Santo Palo - 10C - American Brown Ale

Thanks in advance for advice.

mad elf is fruit beer, specify base as belgian strong.
Saison de buff is deffinatly spice herb vegi with base of saison.

Thanks! The Santo Palo clone - the wood created a strong black licorice flavor - would that still be in 10C or would I need to move that one too (into say, wood aged)?

if you can taste the wood, do wood age. if the drinker would not know and think the balck licorice flavor is malt then leave it there. put them where they taste like, not by how they are made or whats in them.

Back