Competition Bummed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natdavis777

Reaction score
Just got my sheets back from the recent Brewer's Cup here in Indy. My DIPA ended up with an overall score of 40 (high of 42) and didnt place. My cream ale last year placed the same way (overall 40). While I appreciate the feedback more than winning, Ive been at this hobby now for a few years, and am invested fully (I love making my own beer, who wouldn't!). I just think it would be nice to have a claim to fame and say you've at least had a beer place, especially when a beer you brewed made it into the 40s.

A caveat to this particular competition is that its over 1300 entries. So I do take that with a grain of salt. Overall, just a rant. Better luck next year.

Anyone else with similar experiences (beer or otherwise)?

Placing with an IPA in a comp with that many entries would be quite difficult. IPA is one of the most common categories and I would imagine that there were at least a couple hundred in that category. Do you know if it made into the finals or not? A 40 in a comp with that many entries is really good.

My brew club hosts one that is usually about 550 to 650 entries total and this year the IPA category entries were basically dropped if they were below a 38. I thought that sounded crazy because IMHO if a beer is above a 30 it means it's pretty darn good.

What I am trying to say is yes I have had similar experiences. If you just want a ribbon try entering into a smaller comp. If your beers are good then you will eventually get something.

I hear what you are saying. This is actually my first year entering into that category because I know that is the most frequented entry, so Ive always avoided it in the past. Just seeing the scores of other people from past competitions on beers that were overall perceived as good, I thought this might have had a fighting chance. I have no clue as to if it made it to the finals or not.

Ive looked into smaller comps, but most are out of state.

These brewing competitions remind me of when I was racing GTP. One weekend you're the hero, the next you're a bum. But that alone keeps you coming back for more. That time when everything clicks & you won't be denied. But it's also like the " conquering hero" riding into the city on his chariot, the days slaves in chains being driven before him. And a boy with a crown on a velvet pillow, whispering in his ear a warning..." that all glory is fleeting". So a grain of salt should indeed be taken.:mug:

I've had many beers that scored in the 40's an didn't win and I've had beers scored in the 30's and won BOS. Almost all of my beers that I enter are American Ales. Anytime you enter into American Ale or Porter/Stouts be prepared for many different results.

Back