Commercial Bottle Yeast Harvest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gerald Godwin

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I just attempted my first yeast harvest from commercial beers on my brew last weekend. My homebrew club is having a brew-off where we all use the same porter recipe, and everyone selects their own yeast. I made two separate starters; one from an Old Slug porter and one from a Fuller's. By the time is stepped them both up to 2L, I had a decent sized yeast cake in the bottom of both starters. I decanted both starters into 4 gallons one week ago today.

After 48 hours, I didn't notice really notice any activity in either of the carboys. I checked both of their gravities at that time, and they both read 1.051, 4 points below the 1.055 from brew day. Two days later, the Fuller's had a pretty good looking krausen on top of it, while the Old Slug had something covering the top that didn't look like any krausen I had ever seen. I let them both continue on until today, when I checked the gravity of just the Old Slug which was still at 1.051. I pitched a random dry yeast packet that I had sitting at home, and two hours later a krausen had already formed on top.

I guess my question is, do you think this will turn out ok? The carboy looked like this before I pitched the dry yeast packet.
Old Slug Krausen.jpg

And here it is after pitching the dry yeast today.
T-58 Krausen.jpg

Is that the looks of an infection floating on top? I've never waited so long between brewing a beer and getting good yeast in the wort, so I'm wondering if it's too late for this one. I know I'll find out in a couple weeks when I go to keg this, but I'm just curious what everyone thinks.

Thanks

Jerry

Although it does look a bit gnarly, it doesn't look like a pellicle, as they tend to be covering with a haze before becoming denser.

Not sure why the Old Slug didn't take off like the other one, although it did eat 4 points off the top. Maybe a slow fermenter?

Thanks for the replies. I’m excited to see how it turns out. Makes me feel a little better that it doesn’t seem like an infection.

I ended up checking the gravity of the Fuller’s beer the next day, and even with a krausen it had hardly fermented either. Only down to the high 1.040s. I probably should have taken a reading the next day to check for a change, but I also ended up just adding dry yeast to that one as well.

And in my initial post I said I had a decent yeast cake to pitch in them. I just cold crashed a starter of White Labs Saison I yesterday, and it’s pretty clear to me now that the porter yeast cakes were nothing compared to this. I’m starting to think that I just massively underpitched these beers.

Back