Commercial beer makes me wake up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZenBrew

Reaction score
Since I have been homebrewing, I have noticed that when I drink commercial beer it really hits me hard. For example, in the evening if I drink 4 commercial beers in 6 hours I'll wake up hot and have trouble getting back to sleep. This is the case with almost any macro bottled beer. Micro or nano breweries rarely seem to cause this problem.

Home brew doesn't seem to have this effect on me at all. If I drink 4 homebrewed beers in the same amount of time I will sleep fine. The homebrew beer will often time have the same or higher ABV compared to the commercial beer.

Does anyone else out there experience this? A few of my friends have reported similar experiences. Any theories on what it is in commercial beer that might cause this? Fermentation temperature? Maybe preservatives or other chemicals?

Sounds like they need to distill that dihydrogen monoxide out of the beer!

Filtered beers are said to give worse hangovers, as the yeast provides some b vitamins, that drinking depletes. Maybe thats the cause.

I have wondered about that, giraffe. I also wonder if they filter stuff out, then what, if anything, do they put in?

Could be the freeze dried hops too! I think its changes the properties of the tri-humulone acids!

Cheers!

Back