Combine American and Bavarian Wheat Yeasts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moleary

Reaction score
I've been making some wheat beers lately and so far have stuck to an American Wheat. However for the next one I was thinking of making it a little more interesting and combining Wyeast American Wheat 1010 with the Bavarian Wheat 3638. Has anyone ever done something similar? How did it turn out?

:mug:

I've never tried adding two separate yeasts (except for other bugs like brett), but the problem I've always heard is that usually one yeast just takes over the other one, so you only wind up tasting one yeast rather than a combination of the two. That being said, I didn't think the 1010 gave off a lot of additional flavors anyways, so I'd just go ahead and use just the 3638, especially if you've still got some of the 1010 beer around to compare it to.

If you were really intent on using both yeast, the best way might be to ferment half the batch with the 1010 and the other half separately with the 3638, then blend them together at bottling time. Not sure what it would do in the end, and if you were to do that you could even bottle half of each batch separately, then blend the other halves so you'd essentially have three different beers to try!

Back