Columbus, OH group grain buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I'm late to this thread, but if anyone is looking for another buy in 2015, I'm in Columbus and down for a couple of sacks of 2 row.
I live near Buckeye Brewcraft, and have family near Toledo if someone needs to work out transport to NW Ohio.

I'm in New Bremen and need a couple of bags myself, and I have a truck so I would be willing to pickup for others in this area if someone gets a group buy together.

I'd be interested in a sack or two as well but for anyone near label peelers in Kent, OH they are having a 25% off sale and base grains are going for $40-45 depending on type.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I would be interested in this as well. I am in Deleware, OH.

So typically what quality is needed to get a group deal? I have heard mention of palettes of grain, so how many bags are on a palette, and is that one variety or can palettes be mixed?

So we have 7 or 8 folks if my count is right. There are 40 bags in a regular pallet, so if we want a decent deal on price, we need to spread the word to other brewing folks in Ohio, or each buy 5 bags. ;)
I've got a batch of red ale I'm brewing up for St Pattys, but after that I'm going to be looking for more grain, so hopefully by mid March we have a few more people who want in on a group buy. Tell a friend.

I am likely in for 2-3 bags at least. Brewing 10+ gallon batches you go through grain pretty quickly.

I live in New Knoxville (5 miles from St. Marys and New Bremen.) We have a small group here that would be up for maybe 8 or 10 bags. If we have an idea on prices and what's available, we will decide. But several bags in any case.

So, we're getting there, sounds like we have 20+ bags accounted for, maybe closer to 25 or 30. I'll start talking with my LHBS to get details on prices and timelines.

if we can mix and match some things on a pallet that would be great too.

I'm pretty sure we can mix and match, most distributors are used to that when working with LHBS's

Is this happening or not? I live in the Toledo area and would be interested in 2-3 bags depending on price.

I would be in for 2 bags if 2 row was below $35ish for a 50#. AIH has Malteurop I can pick up (in detroit a lot) for $36 before tax but if cheaper I'm in.

Ok, we need a real deal head count with bags wanted, the prices aren't firm but for marris otter or Irish stout barley (a little less malty but I think it's great) we'll be looking at around a dollar a pound. I've called around to all the brewing places in central Ohio, but keep coming back to Jim at Buckeye Brewcraft which is my local store I shop at.
Normally all of this would sell for 1.45 to a $1.65 a lb b/c the store prefers Briess to Muntons, so it's a few cents higher, although he said if we specifically want Muntons he could order it.
So, how does this compare to what others can source? And do we have 40 bags to be bought between all of us? That's 2000 lbs. He also said if we need more than 40 he can handle taking the remaining partial pallet into his stock.

I'm still waiting to hear back from my wife's cousin who part owns a microbrewery to see if we can buy through them instead of a home brew shop, but he's been out of town for business and we haven't spoken since his kids birthday party in December.

Anyway, what's the bag count at a buck a pound?

I'm in for at least two bags of Maris Otter at a buck or so a lb. I'd take another bag of crystal 60 if the price were similar.

I bought a bag of Crisp MO and a bag of the Irish Stout malt from Jim a few weeks ago. I am and hour and a half West of Columbus, but if others in the area want in I can help pick up and bring their bags back to the area for them to pick up.

I can get 55 pound bags of german pale or pilsner for $39 and 50 pound bags od Briess 2 row for $42 at Titgimeiers in Toledo so I am out at that price

Buck a pound is a decent price for MO though. That Irish Stout malt is supposedly like Golden Promise. I am brewing an APA with it today.

Any price on 2-row yet? I'm still in for some MO and maybe some pilsner. If 2-row prices are good, then I'll be in for some of that, too. (The buck a pound price includes their shipping charges, I assume.)

Price includes shipping, and I wrote Briess and meant Crisp. As for two row, do you mean American 2 row, b/c MO is 2 row also.
I'll ask Jim about prices for Crystal and such.

Bucknuts,
Sounds like I need to shop in Toledo next time we visit my In Laws near Findlay. Thanks for the heads up about prices there.

Bucknuts,
Sounds like I need to shop in Toledo next time we visit my In Laws near Findlay. Thanks for the heads up about prices there.

Definitely good prices on sacks of grain at Titgimeiers, maybe I didnt realize how good. I bought a 55lb bag of German Pilsner and 50lb bag of Briess 2 row a month ago for the price I stated. Terrible neighborhood but Good people.

Buck a pound is a decent price for MO though. That Irish Stout malt is supposedly like Golden Promise. I am brewing an APA with it today.

I got better than expected consistency and overshot my gravity with my APA and the irish stout malt. I ended the day with a 1.064 going into the fermenter.

9lbs Irish Stout malt, 2 lbs Victory, 1 lb MO.

Definitely good prices on sacks of grain at Titgimeiers, maybe I didnt realize how good. I bought a 55lb bag of German Pilsner and 50lb bag of Briess 2 row a month ago for the price I stated. Terrible neighborhood but Good people.

What could they do for a group buy for us? I am as close to there as I am to Columbus really. Google maps has me at 1hr 45min, or 112mi from Titgemeiers. Can someone talk to them about group prices? I'd be willing to make the drive to pick up for guys in this area. I think earlier in the thread some guys from New Knoxville were interested, and a brew club just started up nearby so they'd likely be in for a few bags.

What could they do for a group buy for us? I am as close to there as I am to Columbus really. Google maps has me at 1hr 45min, or 112mi from Titgemeiers. Can someone talk to them about group prices? I'd be willing to make the drive to pick up for guys in this area. I think earlier in the thread some guys from New Knoxville were interested, and a brew club just started up nearby so they'd likely be in for a few bags.

I dont get there that often its a 40 minute drive for me so I generally plan multiple brews and pick up supplies for them to avoid making the trip.

I'm only 40 min from Toledo and I didn't realize the prices were that good so I'm out unless we get a better price through a brewery or something similar.

Last year I almost got in on a group buy in the Pittsburgh area because the prices were great but life and the 3 hr drive got in the way. If I remember they were ordering directly from the supplier and saving money buying by the pallet. The organizer had access to a loading dock to unload freight and everyone met up on a certain day for pickup.

Unless we get something like this going I guess I'll start heading to Toledo for sacks.

I'm only 40 min from Toledo and I didn't realize the prices were that good so I'm out unless we get a better price through a brewery or something similar.

Last year I almost got in on a group buy in the Pittsburgh area because the prices were great but life and the 3 hr drive got in the way. If I remember they were ordering directly from the supplier and saving money buying by the pallet. The organizer had access to a loading dock to unload freight and everyone met up on a certain day for pickup.

Unless we get something like this going I guess I'll start heading to Toledo for sacks.

I always Call ahead to check stock I would suggest you do the same 40 minutes is to long of a drive to find out bags of 2 row are out of stock until the following day. I learned that lesson the hard way.

We are having another grain sale, ending this Saturday and pickup is on 3/15. To make it even better we are opening up that Sunday for just grain buyers and the 3-4 local clubs that will be there for meetings and competitions. Also everyone gets 10% off items in the store.

We are having another grain sale, ending this Saturday and pickup is on 3/15. To make it even better we are opening up that Sunday for just grain buyers and the 3-4 local clubs that will be there for meetings and competitions. Also everyone gets 10% off items in the store. This is in Washington Pa. PM me for the price list and include your email.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back