Columbus, Centennial, Citra

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cubslover

Reaction score
Do these three play with each other?

Working up an Imperial IPA, 1.080 OG, 1.020 FG

Hop schedule..

1.5oz Columbus - 60
1.5oz Centennial - 20
1.5oz Centennial - Flameout
1.5oz Columbus - Flameout
2oz Citra - Flameout

Looking right at 100IBU.

I was hoping to get the FG a little lower to get a Dryer finish, but I like the three separately. Hoping they'll be fine together.

They rock together. I've changed all my 20 minute additions to 10 minute additions in my pale ales and IPAs and I really prefer them there now. A lot more big green hop flavor extracted from the hops at 10 minutes IMHO. Other than that, looks like something I'd brew -- big flameout additions are my new secret weapon.

I made a IIPA a few months ago with Citra, Columbus, and Amarillo as the late hops. I'm not the biggest Columbus fan, I've determined, but it definitely did work well overall. As soon as I tasted it, I realized that I should have added some Centennial as well because I think it would have made it that much better.

What's your grain bill like? If you haven't already, replace some of the malt with sugar to dry it out if that's what you want.

That's a good idea. Thanks.

It'll be a PM of Light LME/DME and some 2-row or Golden promise, crystal 60, and a bit of carapils.

For my taste buds - all I would taste is the CITRA. So I would not use the other hops at flameout, just the Citra. I'd go with dry hopping the Cent/Columbus. I've done one IIPA several times experimenting with dry hop or flameout or a combo of both and the combo always wins. Dry hop second and the pure flameout only trailed in third place. But then again that depends on how the flameout is done.

Latest posts

Back