Colorado Organic Hops and Rising Sun Farms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappers_

Moderator Emeritus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just received some great looking organic hop rhizomes from Glen at Colorado Organic Hops and Rising Sun Farms. Shipped promptly, well packed, healthy, and they even threw in a few extra rhizomes. I've also previously bought some of their organic Cascade hops, which were also outstanding.

Glen is also a vendor here at hbt.

http://www.coloradoorganichops.com/ and http://iam.homebrewtalk.com/Hopfarmer

Very cool. I hadn't heard of Rising Sun Farms, so thanks for the tip. Looks like it'd be a cool place to visit and it's not too far from Denver.

I'd like to visit a hop farm sometimes, too, sounds like fun, Billy.

While there are many hop farmers in this great land of ours, there haven't been as many who grew certified organic hops until recently. In part, this was because the FDA had previously ruled that commercial brewers could label their beers 'organic' and use non-organic hops. Go figure. The ruling was changed recently and now there are a few like Glen popping up. I think Glen has been doing organic farming for a while, but began growing the organic hops a few years ago - but I'm not sure if I've got that story right.

In any case, he was recently in Europe, I read on his site, to purchase some kind of hop picking machine, I think. I would like to see a hop farm operation.

Yes I remember that ruling getting overturned. It was silly, really. Organic beer without organic hops? But anyways it's good to see Glen doing this and field trip would be fun.

Would like to start off by saying I had never heard of this hop farm prior to January 2013 and am in no way affiliated with them aside from being a first-time customer:

I'd just like to put in a good word for Rising Sun Farms and their customer service. I had pre-ordered hop rhizomes back in January and was looking at being out of town when they arrived next week, so I decided to give them a call and see if they could help me out. I got voice mail and before I was even done leaving a message I had them ringing me on the other line. I talked with Glen, who happened to be out in the field dealing with rhizomes at the time, and told him my situation and he assured me that they would get me taken care of ASAP. The next day I had an email confirmation that my rhizomes were in the mail. Just checked tracking and they are 'Out for Delivery' today! This all happened 4 days ago and I'm all set to put them in the ground today. I will definitely order from them again because this is the kind of customer service that earns repeat business in my book. :mug:

Thanks Rising Sun Farms, you rock :rockin:

Update: They arrived this afternoon in fantastic shape. I was given two rhizomes of each variety ordered even though I had only purchased one! The rhizomes were as thick as my thumb - in other words, very hardy looking with shoots already formed. They were planted within the hour :D

Same here !!! My order arrived yesterday in great shape. Very excellent quality and an extra for each kind that I ordered. Plus 3 extra chinooks for the early bird order promotion. Thanks Glen !!! :mug:

It's on !

hopsrigapr2013.jpg

Back