Colorado Keezer cheater

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeakingFox

Reaction score
I'm not good with woodworking or electrical work, but after researching all things Keezer, I decided to give it a go. Our basement flooded back in December so we had to refinish it and this is the exact time to tackle such a project since I already have contractors out for help and advice.

I have an 8.8 Kenmore that fits 4 kegs and the C02 inside with no collar so I'm going the coffin route. I have most parts so far and can't wait to see it completed with the custom cabinets and countertops already installed.

We measured the cabinets to accommodate for the keezer so it will look completely custom (I'm hoping!).

This is going to be fun!

This is the little shelf I made to secure the C02 and it doubles as a place to mount other parts and will hold at least fifteen 12 oz bottles.

image.jpg

So here we are with the cabinets, countertop, and flooring installed. There will be a backsplash that is identical to the transition from carpet to tile. So this project is gaining momentum!

image.jpg

cant wait to see the finished project.
Thanks! I've got the frame built and am now planning on installing the temp controller and building the coffin.

This is the part causing me the biggest headache!

I did decide to install the temp controller on the side and add a switch/plug for the LED strip and just to have an outlet for any random thing like a cell phone charger.

I'm still scouring these forums for help as I am a true beginner so if anyone has advice I'd be happy to accept.

image.jpg

I have a few more pics to share. I've wrapped the keezer and have the completed countertop (not installed yet) resting on top.

Tomorrow I plan on working of the coffin. I really need to get the temp controller installed too!

image.jpg

Looks awesome. Any thoughts on putting the co2 tak outside the keezer (say, in that cabinet) to free up space inside the keezer?

Amazing counter tops, especially the tap holes. I do wonder though, isn't there a lot of weight to lift to change kegs?
Great setup.

Looks awesome. Any thoughts on putting the co2 tak outside the keezer (say, in that cabinet) to free up space inside the keezer?

I have thought about this, but for our house, I think 20 gallons of brew is a good starting point. ;)

I do have a red ale in primary right now. Up next may be either an ipa or the red ipa. Since the red was my first ever batch (extract), I'm going slow.

Amazing counter tops, especially the tap holes. I do wonder though, isn't there a lot of weight to lift to change kegs?
Great setup.

Actually, there is a lot of weight on the lid. I'm considering upgrading the hinges, but I'll wait until it is finished to see how it feels.

I'm working on the coffin now. I have the box assembled and am figuring and thinking about how to finish it and where to install the temp controller. And considering adding an LED strip below the taps.

Here is a picture with it just sitting on top.

image.jpg

I don't like posting too many times, but I found a decent pic of the detail in the countertops.

They are MDF with painted concrete. Then painted in sections and a layer of epoxy.

image.jpg

It has been a busy few weeks so my keezer work has been lagging.

And if I don't finish a good bit tomorrow it will have to wait because on our son is due in two days.

We stained & secured the coffin, (mostly) wired the temp controller, and installed the taps/shanks.

What is left is to insulate the coffin, attach the hoses & put my red ale in one of the kegs! Then it will be 95% done & I can enjoy that tasty first pour!

image.jpg

Here are the important thing you should know.

1. Temp controller is in and working!
2. I still need to do a few final details
3. The first beer to go in this will be my first ever home brew (red ale for my wife because she hasn't had a drink in basically 8 months & 30 days).
4. The reason for not putting the brew in is because in a few hours we are heading to the hospital for induction (so we should have a baby tomorrow!).
5. The aforementioned knocked up wife was willing to pose in a Jester-wife style as a homage to his inspiration! Thanks!!!

image.jpg

Congrats on the impending arrival!
Let's hope he/she is a beer aficionado! :D

Cheers!

I grew up in St. Louis drinking AB garbage so I wrote off beer for years. Until Foxy introduced me to Fat Tire. So if it weren't for her aficionadoness this keezer wouldn't exist!

So our son is now here!

image.jpg

Being a father and working and (blah blah) I have been busy and had to put this project (mostly) on hold. I am back and wanting to finish this Keezer.

My problem is I have had no success with two separate STC-1000 models. I even had an amateur electrician and a professional (20+ years, owns his own company) out to look it over and no one can fix my problem.

I am considering going with a Johnson A419 or some other heavy duty temp controller. I have a 14 CF chest freezer with 4 kegs and it has been built for a year and we haven't been able to use it.

Please offer your advice because I certainly could use it!

Back