Color of different crystal malts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bja

Reaction score
Does something look wrong with these two bags of crystal, or is it just me?

c60.jpg

I had a similar experience recently, buying C80L and C150L. The former had a darker appearance than the latter. I asked the LHBS proprietor and he acknowledged this, but reassured me. I've used them both in my brews and all has been as predicted colorwise. Go figure.

Looks to me like they got swapped. Ive never had those few extra dark husks in c40-60, but they are there in c80+

smell them. Whichever one smells sweeter should be the 60, more toffee would be 120

It could just happen to be that the darker grain in the 120L just happened to settle in a way that makes it look lighter.

I contacted Morebeer about this and they assured me that the bag labeled C60 is in fact C60, though I don't know how they can be so certain since the people I spoke with are not the ones who packaged it.

I used the C60 and the beer turned out much darker than it should've and has a taste that you would attribute to using a much darker crystal.

I sent this picture to Morebeer several weeks ago and again explained what I was experiencing but never heard anything back.

Back