Colder fermenting temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a_dwiz

Reaction score
So I'm about to brew my first beer, and I'm pretty excited. But the place where I will be able to ferment runs in the upper 50s for temperature. This seems a little chilly and I'm just wondering if this is a problem, and if there is a solution other than getting that area warmer. This is a pale ale, 5 gallon batch. (Swig of Sunbeams kit)

If you dont wanna hassle moving it you gotta get something to keep it warmer since yeast temp is 60-73. What do you use as a fermenter?

I often ferment at temps below what the manufacturer recommends. In fact I would generally suggest that people ignore what the temp on the packet is. You usually don't want to be at the top of that range.

I haven't used that yeast, but I bet it'll get going if it's in the upper 50s, and once it does get going it will increase the temp of your beer and be in a good spot.

I often ferment at temps below what the manufacturer recommends. In fact I would generally suggest that people ignore what the temp on the packet is. You usually don't want to be at the top of that range.

I haven't used that yeast, but I bet it'll get going if it's in the upper 50s, and once it does get going it will increase the temp of your beer and be in a good spot.

Would using a space heater to warm it in the beginning work? I just don't want to leave a space heater on at all times.

Don’t know what style of beer you’re brewing (Edit: pale ale). But a Kölsch yeast like WLP029 or a tolerant lager strain like Saflager 34/70 would perform well in the high 50s. Sometimes it makes more sense to pick a yeast for the available environment, vs. manipulating the environment for the yeast.

Would using a space heater to warm it in the beginning work? I just don't want to leave a space heater on at all times.
I wouldn't use a space heater. It's too hot.

Like I said, I don't think you need to do anything. Especially if you chill to low 60s and pitch the yeast.

Fermentation is an exothermic process, it generates heat. So if you chill wort to low 60s I don't think it'll ever go below 60 during fermentation. You'll be fine.

And if a yeast says on the package that fermentation temp range is 60-73 my guess is that it will do just fine at say 58. In fact, I bet it will make better beer at 58 than it would at 66.

I almost always ferment at BELOW the min temp on the yeast package.

You pitch colder then you want because the fermentation process will warm up approximately 5 degrees . It just depends on the temp of your basement if its low to mid 50's it's not ideal. If your @58/59 then your good because once it starts its gonna bump up . However after the initial 3 days of active it will drop temp . That's why I would suggest a heat wrap . If you ferment at 62 your gonna wanna warm it for diacetyl rest . When it comes to temps I'm anal about that . If you dont wanna spend any money I would pitch if your temp is 58/59 then after active fermentation bring it inside and let it sit at room temp until you bottle or keg.

If you do use a space heater dont sit it close to the fermenter . As I'm pretty sure you already would know that . The electric blankets are pretty cool .

I'm looking at a cheap sunbeam heating pad at Walmart.

Would something like this help?

I'm looking at a cheap sunbeam heating pad at Walmart.

Would something like this help?

Get a small empty paint can (unused from the hardware store) and a lamp cord or similar and set it so that the bulb is in the can. You really only need 25W bulb for this. This is plenty of heat (because you want gentle heat and don't want to overshoot). The can keeps the light away from your beer, keeps the bulb area dry, and acts as a fire containment vessel in the worst case scenario. All made for less than $10.

Your fermenting room probably varies in temperature. Other than summer, I ferment in the basement. The back floor is coldest, a bit warmer on a table, warmest near the furnace. Probably a high shelf near the furnace would be warmer still. I used to use a cheap wall thermometer to check the temps, now I use an infrared gun. I also vary my yeast to suit. Nottingham ferments cleanly in the 50s.
Good luck, keep us posted.

Back