Cold crashing versus just kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you were to leave a scuba diving tank in the sun. It would increase 9psi for every degree Celsius temperature increase. Much more significant than the liquid numbers.
So, you're going to compare a steel tank that starts at 3000psi and contains 100 moles of gas to a carboy starting at atmospheric pressure (~15psi) and less than 1 mole? :smack:

edit:
oops . . . didn't read all of orangehero's post first. Beat me to it.

That fact that it increases psi when it is already at 3000 psi should say something..

That doesn't refute my statements. You're welcome to calculate it for yourself.

I have no idea where you get your numbers from so I cannot. I either have to assume my full carboys leak when drawing so much more vacuum than the half-filled ones, or simply accept your comments as truths.

It says you have zero understanding of gas laws. :drunk:

I have all night. Why not educate me?

So your also saying that liquids condense more than gas does given equal volumes and temperature drops?

*edit nevermind. I see a few posts back your guessing at psi drops and now you're an expert all the sudden.

Replace your airlock with one of these during the last days of active fermentation (after there's no chance of blow-off) and no O2 can enter during cold crashing.

This got my wondering... If you did this during active fermentation the beer might be a little carbonated and pressure would build up. Then as it cooled the contained C02 would reabsorb into the liquid... Potentially making force carbing a little bit faster? Or am I way off?

Or it might pop out under pressure and the mold from the fridge would ruin your beer.

Or am I way off?
It has a flap that works like a check-valve. On exhaust, it will act the same as an airlock, letting any CO2 pressure escape. On intake, it seals and blocks outside air from coming in. That is why it should work well for cold crashing, but no pressure would build up for carbonation.

But like others have said, the vacuum formed and the amount of O2 that makes it into your carboy through the airlock from cold crashing is very small. The worry about O2 exposure is a bit of a boogeyman. If you cold crash for a couple of days the amount of absorption is minimal. You’ll probably have finished your beer well before any sign of oxidation is noticeable, if ever.

That said, I'm OCD and seal my carboy during cold crashing. :eek:

The more of these damn posts the more cofused I get. So now were saying that cold crashing a few days should result in too much O2 obsorbtion. What about lagering for three weeks. Or should I not lager in my fermentation bucket.

Back