Cold Crashing in Ice-bath?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corpsman619

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to cold crash in a ice bath? I do not have a fridge to CC so I would like to try to do it in an ice bath. I have been reading that it is best to cold crash for 2 days. I don't think I would be able to cold crash for 2 days, it would require an absurd amount of ice bags and effort ( I work all day and go to school every other night).

Will 3-4 hours do anything to clear it up? I cant imagine a few 20 lb bags of ice keeping my fermenter in the 30's for any longer than that.

Any advice is much appreciated.

-Cheers

:mug:

I do it in an ice bath. I use the same tub that I ferment in. Only takes 3-20# bags of ice.

I add the first ice charge when I get home from work, about 35# to initially completely surround the bucket. Top off with ice cold water.

Then about 4-5 hours later, before going to bed, I top up with another 5# or so of ice. Also place frozen water bottles on top of the lid and then cover and wrap everything up in blankets to insulate.

The next morning, More than half of the ice is remaining yet. Usually the frozen bottles are still frozen. I siphon off some water, top up with ice, wrap up and go to work.

I don't need to add any more ice from this point up to bottling time.
I will bottle about 48 plus hours after initiating the cold crash.

I see a big benefit to cold crashing my IPA's. See THIS I just posted a recent experience.

Edit: sorry, 20# bags of ice, not 10.

Back