Cold crash yeast starter early?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Facinerous

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm pretty sure I messed up on my volumes for doing my first yeast starter. I looked around at a few different places for an amount of DME to add to create the starter. I think I got my volumes confused though.

So I added one cup DME to 1500ml of water for my starter. Pretty sure it should have been 3/4 cup, or even 1/2.

So in order to possibly not stress out the yeast to much, is it possible to cold crash them before they are done chewing through the entire starter? Would this possibly save them a little stress?

Its been going for about 18 hours now, so just adding more water at this point would be pointless.

What do you think.

Don't do anything until you input your numbers into this yeast starter calculator. It will give you estimated cells needed for your beer and estimated cells propagated with your starter.
http://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/

Change the defaults to your numbers that are in the calculator.

Very important is yeast production date.

Use the pitching rate default of 0.75 Pro Brewer.
If you are using a stir plate use; Braukaiser- stir plate.

The starter you are making may be just what you need. In step 1 you can manually enter starting yeast cell count instead of using the Grab From Above button.

One cup of DME can weigh 5.5 ounces if it is scooped from the bag. It will be sort of packed in the cup. One cup of DME where it is spooned into the cup, no packing, could weigh 4.2 ounces.
This is all more or less. Sort of judge by how you filled your cup measure.

If it weighed 5 ounces that would equal 141 grams. What you are looking for is about 1.038 - 1.040 for the starter wort. This is 100 gram per liter so your 1 cup was about right for 1.5 liters. 150 grams for 1.5 liters, 200 grams for 2 liters etc.

The size of the starter is determined by the gravity of the brew and the age of the yeast. This is where the calculators come in.

I'd say you hit it right on the mark. Leave it alone and continue as planned. Starters are usually made with an OG of between 1.030 and 1.040. To figure out the OG of a starter, use the following equation. [(Lbs of DME * PPG / volume in gallons) / 1000] + 1 = OG . Back when I was using DME I measured mine as contributing 50 points per lb per gallon (I think most sources quote it as being less than that). But assuming that is 50, here's where your starter ended up. 3785 ml in a gallon. 1500 / 3785 = ~0.40 gallons. About 3 cups in a lb of DME. 1/3 = .3333. .3333*50 / 0.40 = ~42 rounded up. 42/1000 = .042. .042 + 1 = 1.042. So, your starter OG should have been close to 1.042 (if not lower). That's absolutely fine and will not stress out the yeast.

Thanks flars, I checked it out.

Looks like I am well within what I had expected. I was worried about having to high OG from the DME, but it looks like all is well.

[edit] There were quite a few more responses from when I typed this. I appreciate it everyone. Thank you all for the help.

BTW. From the MFG date on the yeast package, the pitch calculators estimated about 25% viability. I cracked up when I saw that.

Back