cold crash confusion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chirs

Reaction score
hey folks,

I know there are a lot of beginner posts about cold crashing...my apologies if I'm overlooking the answer somewhere else.
I'm making EdWorts Pale Ale and FG is at 1.022 (after 19 days in primary)– so probably not quite done yet. Am I correct in assuming that one should never cold crash until fermentation is complete?
Also, what is the point of cold crashing in primary or secondary if one is bottling. Wouldn't throwing the bottles in the fridge 3 days before drinking them achieve the exact same thing? I gather that cold crashing leaves enough yeast for carbonation, but does is still help clarify AFTER carbonation?

No, you don't want to cold crash until you're completely done. Do it at the point where you would normally bottle.

Yes, putting the bottles in the fridge causes the same thing to happen to the beer. But if you do it in bulk and then bottle, you leave behind all the yeast that falls out during cold crashing instead of having it all at the bottom of the bottle.

Makes sense. Does gelatin have any "drop out"? I added gelatin to my bottling bucket during my last brew and noticed that the settlement at the bottom of each bottle seems chunkier than usual?

Gelatin should be added in the fermenter rather than at bottling. Again, so that the sediment gets left behind rather than getting into your bottle.

Back