Cold Crash after amylase remedy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xpacheco

Reaction score
Hi,

First, some background. I'm brewing a high gravity Belgium Triple. After three weeks in primary fermentation halted at 1.023. Beer was too sweet. To remedy this, I did the following:

1. Added US-05, moved to warm location after 24 hrs, no effect
2. Added amylase, after 24 hrs, air-lock activity every 16-20 seconds (for 3 days and starting to slow down).

So, now I have to decide what comes next. Concerned that amylase will cause continued fermentation in secondary and excessively dry out the beer.

Thinking of options like:
1. Cold Crash, then move to secondary to age at room temp (is this ok)
2. Just move to secondary, don't worry about it
3. Cold Crash, then bottle (would I lose benefit of aging it in secondary)

Any thoughts/insights?

TIA --- x

That's a good question. Adding enzymes is best done before the boil as the heat denatures those enzymes.

I don't think that cold crashing would help at all, unless you are just trying to stop the yeast, and if you are trying to bottle condition that can get tricky.

Maybe aging and blending is an option? I don't know.

What will be will be. Aging in bottles is done but imo is better done prior. If you want to leave the yeast cake behind prior to setting off on the aging thing I'd go with option 1 and try to end up with the minimum head space possible in the second vessel...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back