Cold Conditioning Belgian Ales

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 225792

Twisted Mustache Brewing
Reaction score
I have two Belgian ales that have completed fermentation (both at 1.009), at 63 degrees F. One is a Wit (Wyeast 3463 Forbidden Fruit), the other a Patersbier (Wyeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity). Fully fermented in 4 days, and I want to condition them for another week, naturally. I had an idea to cold condition them at around 58 degrees F. Looking for input on this idea. I know that cold conditioning these beers may cause the Wit to clear, but wanted to ask on thoughts if there are any other drawbacks to cold conditioning these ales. Please advise. Thanks!

No drawbacks except for clearing in your Wit. Patersbier isn't super clear either, typically. Can't hurt, but won't necessarily help anything either. I'd skip it if it were my beer. Just let them roll at 63F and botte/keg.

Are you talking about bottling these beers in 4days+1wk cold conditioning? I would let it sit for 2 full weeks at typical fermentation temps before beginning any cold conditioning to ensure the yeast finish fermenting cleaning up

I dont see any point in cold conditioning any belgian style beer though. It wont bring out any desirable characteristics in either beer

I planned to keg the beers at 4days + 1wk, then carbonate, since full attenuation has been achieved (yesterday). Still at 63 degrees F today. I usually do let ales go 2 full weeks before kegging - have been doing that for 15 years. Wondered about the affects of kegging a few days early. I have never cold conditioned a Belgian beer, and this is my first attempt at Patersbier, so I posted the question. I make lagers frequently, so I had the brainchild of cold conditioning the Belgians. I think I will keep them a 63. Thanks much for the input!

Some Belgian brewers find benefit in cold conditioning. Thiriez stores their saison at 12C for 3 weeks. Not super cold but conditioning none-the-less. I was also just reading the Au Baron conditions at 6C for two weeks. I wouldn't say it does nothing. It will certainly drop out proteins, yeast, and some tannins. But whether that is desired for your beer is your call.

BYO had a New Belgian Farmhouse Saison recipe where it was recommended one ferment for 3-7 days at 79-84F, leave at that temp for another 6 days for warm conditioning, rack into bottle/keg to carb, then cold condition at 40F for three to four additional weeks. I'm trying one now and am currently cold conditioning in my keezer at 38F.

There are a couple of 3787 threads. This yeast needs to be warmed up a bit to make sure it finishes fermenting.

Some Belgian brewers find benefit in cold conditioning. Thiriez stores their saison at 12C for 3 weeks. Not super cold but conditioning none-the-less. I was also just reading the Au Baron conditions at 6C for two weeks. I wouldn't say it does nothing. It will certainly drop out proteins, yeast, and some tannins. But whether that is desired for your beer is your call.

Thiriez and Au Baron are French not Belgian and the cold storage is probably from normal Biere de garde practice although they use more expressive yeasts.

Thiriez and Au Baron are French not Belgian and the cold storage is probably from normal Biere de garde practice although they use more expressive yeasts.

Fair enough I suppose. Although the vast majority of "Belgian saisons" brewed in the US use the Thiriez strain, so the mother brewery's technique might be considered relevant.

Setting that aside, Duvel is cold conditioned at 41F for six weeks. St. Bernardus Abt 12 is lagered for 6-8 weeks.

Again, not saying it's necessary but some brewers do find benefit in the practice.

Latest posts

Back