Cold conditioning and naturally carbing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopdawg

Reaction score
This is something I've pondered for a while now. Here's what I'm thinking;
Normally I'd cold crash it for 5 days then fire it in the keg. I will then cold condition for 2-3 weeks then force carb and serve.
I have a Pale Ale in the carboy now and its been there 4 weeks. I want to naturally carb it. Do I still cold crash, cold condition then bring it back to room temp prime then keg? This seems to me to be the better approach to achieve good clarity.
or
do I put it in the keg and prime it now and then cold condition after it's carbed?

Prime first, then crash and condition.

Those yeast will take forever, if not infinity, to prime your beer at cold temps, and that's if they haven't all dropped out after the crash and condition. If you are willing to wait 2-3 weeks to cold condition, as you say, then you'll most likely have clear beer anyway.

My bad. I meant bring it back to room temp then prime, I've edited my original question. Thanks for your reply.

Back