Cold Break Removal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Douglefish

Reaction score
So I've been considering doing my first lager, and being the anal guy that I am, I've been reading everything I can. I've remember reading about cold break removal for lighter beers? I guess I have a couple of questions?

I understand that this is pretty easy if you use an immersion chiller, you can simply whirlpool after the cold break, but what if you use a counter flow? Does anyone remove cold break and use a CF chiller?

Does anyone make light lagers and not do this?

Just want to understand what folks are doing?

Chances are, if you're using a CF chiller, the break material is having to be removed. Break material will clog the chiller otherwise. You'll need to adjust the way you pull wort from the kettle when using a CF chiller. I use a method that has a copper pipe extending into my kettle. It's like a dip tube, but instead of going to the bottom center, it angles downward and toward the wall of the kettle. I leave about 1/4" between the copper and the side of my kettle. After whirlpooling, this does a very good job of clearing my beer.

Really though, you don't need to filter your beer anymore with a lager than you would with an ale. With a lager, it spends so much time in cold temps that you will notice a much cleaner beer anyways.

I understand that hot break won't go through the CF chiller, but wouldn't the cold break be generated in the CF chiller? Therefore making it into the fermenter?

Duh! My fault...I totally spaced that out. This is what I get for working and surfing the net at the same time.

The cold break isn't an issue. If you're concerned, you could run it through a strainer on the way into the fermenter. It would aerate it at the same time, which is a plus.

The cold break isn't an issue.

Yup, don't fear the cold break! In fact, overly "bright" wort often leads to a host of fermentation problems due to the lack of turbidity and nutrients that help stimulate yeast activity. ;)

However, do prevent the hot break from entering the fermenter. Nothing good can come from it.

Latest posts

Back