Coffee additive question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdavidw

Reaction score
I am getting ready to make this Founder Breakfast Stout Clone: https://www.homebrewing.org/Founders-Breakfast-Stout-Clone-All-Grain-Recipe_p_7282.html

The recipe calls for 2oz of Sumatran Coffee at the last 5 min of the boil and then 2oz of Kona Coffee in the secondary. (I will likely not do a secondary but will add to primary about 20 days in.) The target % is 7.75.

I made a coffee stout a few years back and the coffee flavor and tannin was way too high. I recall I made around a 4oz shot of very strong espresso and poured that in my brew at flame out last time.

Should I just grind the beans and then dump the dry coffee grinds into the wort? Or do I brew the coffee and then pour the hot coffee in?

Thanks for your help!

I seem to think the recipes for that stout always call for adding part of the coffee grounds to the boil and part of the grounds post fermentation. The instructions for that kit should tell you exactly how to add the coffee.

FWIW I would not waste time trying to source 2oz of Kona coffee. A decent Guatemalan coffee will be a good and considerably cheaper substitute.

Thanks, the instructions only say add 2 oz and when. Doesn't say if its whole beans, grounds or made coffee. I would guess grounds and they will fall to the trub. Just want to be sure.

Thanks again.

I read many threads about adding coffee two months ago when I wanted to do a coffee stout. You will find many different ways which seem to be good. I started simple and just added 4oz of Costco Guatemalan whole coffee beans at about 10 days in primary. Left it there until keging at 25 days. The aroma and taste was superb. Not super strong but you knew it was a coffee stout. I’m doing it now again with a porter.

I read many threads about adding coffee two months ago when I wanted to do a coffee stout. You will find many different ways which seem to be good. I started simple and just added 4oz of Costco Guatemalan whole coffee beans at about 10 days in primary. Left it there until keging at 25 days. The aroma and taste was superb. Not super strong but you knew it was a coffee stout. I’m doing it now again with a porter.

Fantastic! I think I will go with adding the 2oz of ground Sumatran Coffee in the hop sock at the last 5 min of the boil and then add 2oz of Kona whole beans at 20 days in the fermenter and then keg 14 days after that.

Cheers!

Last time I made a coffee stout, I used a cold brew coffee maker. I ground the beans like I was going to make a normal batch. I filled the maker with sanitizer for a while, then instead of water, I poured beer directly from my keg tap into the coffee maker. I let it sit for 24 hours, then dumped the whole lot back into the keg.

Best coffee beer I've ever made

I’d add course cracked beans to the fermenter. I use 4oz for a 5 gallon batch. I wouldn’t add to the boil personally. Messes with head retention and always have me an acrid thing I didn’t like. Straight beans give you what you want, while leaving out what you don’t want. I usually do 5 days in the fermenter.

FWIW, after lots of trial and error, I perfected the coffee addition on my maple bacon porter by adding 2 oz. of the coarsest grind possible, throwing into a muslin sack, and tossing into secondary/end of primary for NO MORE than 3 days. This gives subtle coffee flavor that gets an "oooh... that's nice" instead of "ugggh... you brewed another beer..."

I agree this is a trial an error for each brewer because there are so many variables (process, coffee, amount, timing, time, etc.). No one can say this is the best or perfect way because there are so many ways for this and the coffee taste (like beer) someone wants may be totally different for another person unless you are referencing some commercial beer as an example. Read all the different ways, pick one and test. If you like it then great. If not then try another. I liked a lot mine like others liked theirs. Cheers!

I agree this is a trial an error for each brewer because there are so many variables (process, coffee, amount, timing, time, etc.). No one can say this is the best or perfect way because there are so many ways for this and the coffee taste (like beer) someone wants may be totally different for another person unless you are referencing some commercial beer as an example. Read all the different ways, pick one and test. If you like it then great. If not then try another. I liked a lot mine like others liked theirs. Cheers!

Cool story.

Latest posts

Back