Coconut oil in mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michio

Reaction score
Hey, usual beer brewer but decided to make a few meads recently.

Wanted to see if adding coconut oil is a problem. I've always read that oil is bad for head retention on beer but since its a mead does it matter?
I figured I just mix it in some hot water and stir and pour in with the rest of the ingredients. Would love to hear some feedback on coconut oil or just any oil in general being added to a mead.
Thanks!
EDIT:
I ended up using coconut oil which at first was clumped up but separated out.
As far as foamy heads It doesnt bother me since it im just experimenting with different flavors.

Last edited:
I don't think the yeast will be eating the coconut oil, so won't it likely go rancid by something that does?

I’ve read a post somewhere of someone using coconut water instead of the normal stuff. A pretty expensive experiment but imagine if it worked
Good suggestion! That is something I can imagine fermenting just fine.

I’ve read a post somewhere of someone using coconut water instead of the normal stuff. A pretty expensive experiment but imagine if it worked

Coconut water is one thing, I find it refreshing, but I don't know the extent to which the subtle flavor would survive fermentation.

Coconut oil? Beyond a tiny bit, wouldn't it just float to the top and sit there, being insoluble in water?

Coconut water is one thing, I find it refreshing, but I don't know the extent to which the subtle flavor would survive fermentation.

Coconut oil? Beyond a tiny bit, wouldn't it just float to the top and sit there, being insoluble in water?
Yes. I anticipated that I was hoping for a flavor but I should of used flakes or the other suggested idea of using coconut water.
However, the aroma was quite nice when I transferred and took a test taste.

Was able to use a coconut extract which while it still had oil in it, i shook up and it did a better job in the taste department

I tried the coconut water and pineapple a couple of months ago. A complete disaster. Went bad quickly and used to poison the weeds. Am about to toast some coconut flakes to see if that might work a little better. Boy that stuff was bad

I tried the coconut water and pineapple a couple of months ago. A complete disaster. Went bad quickly and used to poison the weeds. Am about to toast some coconut flakes to see if that might work a little better. Boy that stuff was bad
What went bad you think?

I've no idea. The gravity dropped so there was activity. There was no sign of infection, but the taste was just awful.
Coconut water is kind of nasty on its own in my own opinion. I think flakes would work a lot better. Maybe the pineapples werent ripe or the temp got to high?
Coconut pineapple sounds refreshing in this heat.

Latest posts

Back