Coconut Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassassassin772

Reaction score
So my next Brew I am planning on a Coconut Brown Ale. This is my second extract batch I am planning on using AHS Piloncillo Brown Ale (10C). I'm thinking this would complement the coconut nicely. Does anyone have any experience with this kit? Also when should I add the roasted coconut? Should I add it to the boil ant at what point or should I add it after fermentation? Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think the high fat content in coconut may compromise your beer greatly. But I'll wait for someone to follow up with the hard evidence.

I added coconut to a nut brown recipe of mine recently. It came out nice. I was going for a very subtle coconut background flavor and got just that. I toasted the shredded meat of one coconut and added it to the boil for 60 minutes.

Do some searches. There've been a number of threads on this. AFAICT the people who warn you that the oil from coconut will wreck your beer haven't brewed with coconut. You get beer, with coconut. I've tasted beers made with commercial coconut extract and they taste like candy to me.

That sounds like an awesome idea! I too would be concerned about the oil in the coconut, but Captain Damage's comment is reassuring. Best of luck! I may be following in your footsteps in the not too distant future...

Personally, I'd stick to fresh toasted coconut. Keep in mind that canned coconut cream is highly processed. All the sugar in it - and there is a lot - will be fermented out. It probably has preservatives in it which might mess with your fermentation.

Sweet Thanks everyone I am planning on using fresh coconut and all I'm looking for is a nice coconut flavor in the bAckground

I brewed the AHS Piloncillo Brown Ale today, but I followed the recipe with the exception of the yeast. I used Thames Valley 1275 want to compare it to Cigar City Maduro.

I did do a coconut porter a while back where I used toasted coconut flakes in the secondary, it actually turned out pretty good.

60 minute boil on the coconut? There's no way you could taste a smidgeon of it. I did a coconut beer that I boiled my coconut for 15 and burned it out. I'd add it to the boil but at flameout if you want to taste it.

Kona brewing company uses real toasted coconut in the mash of their Koko Brown(that's according to beer advocate). It's a pretty good beer, but IMO not something I could drink much of.

The Kona is what I am going after. I loved it with just a hint of coconut hitting the back of your throat. I was considering fermenting for 2 weeks and then put roasted coconut in a bag and place it in for another 2 weeks

I've got a brown ale that just got done fermenting. I love your idea! Maybe I'll pull a gallon of that and put toasted coconut in the secondary. How much were you planning on putting in the secondary?

BBGunBrewery said:
I've got a brown ale that just got done fermenting. I love your idea! Maybe I'll pull a gallon of that and put toasted coconut in the secondary. How much were you planning on putting in the secondary?

I know it can be done, but be ever weary of 2 things: 1) it's oily and my porter with coconut has crappy head and an oil slick on it and 2) it's a ***** to get out of the beer if you don't use a grain bag for it! Good luck!

I just made a coconut Porter based on the Maui brewing company's coconut porter, which I had while on vacation in Maui last year.
I use 28oz of organic unsweetened flaked coconut i got from whole foods. for a 10 gallon batch
which I toasted on cookie sheets in the oven at 325 degrees for 25- 30min to a nice dark golden brown, and then added it to the secondary.
primary for 2 weeks and then secondary for 2 weeks.
I just kegged this beer yesterday and only got about 8.5 gallons due to amount of loose coconut i put in fermenter.
if I do it again i will add it in a bag and try to strain it before racking to kegs.

at point of kegging it had a good coconut smell and taste.
which is what i was looking for
I will up date when I taste in a few weeks

Latest posts

Back