Cocoa powder not blending

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WileECoyote

Reaction score
Hello, I have a cocoa/coffee/cream stout that still taste like cocoa powder, I was wondering how long dose it take for the cocoa powder to blend in and start tasting like chocolate, or will it ever taste like chocolate?

Its a 5 gal batch.

This brew was in primary for 2 weeks @ 62 to 65deg, in secondary for 2 weeks @ 64 to 67deg, its been bottle conditioning @ 70 since 5/12/12,

I added 4oz of cocoa powder, mixed into 2 cups cold brewed coffee extract and 2 sliced vanilla beans to the secondary on 4/28/12, bottled on 5/12/12 and it has no more green taste to it, but it still has a strong cocoa powder smell and taste, as of 7/5/12.

Anyone have any insight about how long or if, the flavor will blend/mellow? ? ? :confused:

Im thinking about putting this batch in the fridge or under the bath room sink (85 deg) and forgetting about for 2 to 3+ more months, any suggestions welcome

Im thinking that the next chocolate brew I make, I will just throw a few candy bars into the mix and deal with the oily mess after.

Thanks in advance
Cheers :mug:

I don't have an answer for you since I added cocoa powder to the boil and did not get what you're experiencing. I would not add chocolate bars due to butter fats. I would suggest cocoa nibs though. I mixed cocoa powder and dry nibbed and came out great, with a little age since it was first a bitter chocolate taste but that mellowed out.

cocoa powder can take a long time to drop out of suspension. I kegged mine and it was well over 6 months.

Guess Ill be waiting on this one for a while. :(

Anyone have any suggestions (recipe's) for a semi fast (extract) dark brew?.

im currently at 2 weeks primary, 2 weeks secondary, 3 weeks to however long it takes bottle conditioning, 4 days fridge, making it 8 weeks at the minimum to drinking, I know good beer takes time, but it never hurts to ask, right? :confused: lol

Its a pain in the ars for me to try and keep my fermenters at temp, and bottle conditioning is just as bad, its 110+ now (85 to 87 in the house) and I don't have a fermenting chamber yet (waiting on tax return) swamp cooler is getting very hard to maintain temps in, so much so that Im down to 1 fermenter at a time, as the pipeline slows to a crawl.

Thanks

Haven't tried it myself yet but sounds like chocolate nibs in the secondary is the way to go. I maybe be wrong though.

waiting on a tax return in JULY? AZ must be a strange place...

I made a chocolate stout once. I used only chocolate extract and it seemed to add just that amount of chocolate that I wanted. Try that next time. I agree with avoiding the chocolate candy, as mentioned the fats that are not beneficial to beer. Head killing is the first thign I recall

You could always cold crash it to try to get some of that cocoa to come out of suspension. Not entirely sure if it would work, but I would try that. Leave some bottles in the fridge for a week, then sample it.

waiting on a tax return in JULY? AZ must be a strange place...

I made a chocolate stout once. I used only chocolate extract and it seemed to add just that amount of chocolate that I wanted. Try that next time. I agree with avoiding the chocolate candy, as mentioned the fats that are not beneficial to beer. Head killing is the first thign I recall

You could always cold crash it to try to get some of that cocoa to come out of suspension. Not entirely sure if it would work, but I would try that. Leave some bottles in the fridge for a week, then sample it.

LOL its not AZ on the tax return, yes AZ is a strange place, but we had someone try to use my wife's social security # on a return and that has really messed up getting our return.

Been trying 1 bottle each week at 4 days in the fridge.

I have chocolate grain now for the next batch and the chocolate extract idea sounds great, the next chocolate/coffee/cream stout will be getting chocolate grains and chocolate extract.

Can a Black beer be semi quick or do the dark grains need longer to blend than a yellow brew?

Thanks

When I do my Chocolate Coffee Stout, I add the chocolate powder to the boil at about 15 minutes or less. It gave it a really nice flavor, and blended well. I actually took a little bit of the wort from the boil just before and premixed it to ensure good disolving. But hey, whatever works for you is the best way to go :)

What do you mean about black beer taking longer? During the mash?

Well I tend to let everything sit for 3-4 weeks in primary and 3-4 weeks in a bottle, so I dont really do 'quick'. It did seem like the chocoloate stout had a painful pre-pubescence but flowered into a beautiful adult when it finally happened.

When I do my Chocolate Coffee Stout, I add the chocolate powder to the boil at about 15 minutes or less. It gave it a really nice flavor, and blended well. I actually took a little bit of the wort from the boil just before and premixed it to ensure good disolving. But hey, whatever works for you is the best way to go :)

What do you mean about black beer taking longer? During the mash?

Longer from primary to drinking, or am I way off base on this?
it seems that beers like stouts take longer to condition that lighter beers.

I think I should have at least put the cocoa powder in at flame out, I think it needs to get hot to blend properly.

Well I tried another one today while brewing, and the cocoa seems like its starting to mellow just the slightest bit, to me thats a good sign as I didn't think it would ever meld, Ill try another one next month and see how it go's lol

What I have learned from this is not to put cocoa powder in my secondary ever again.

Update,

This beer is going on almost a year since brewing it, and its finally starting to blend the cocoa powder taste, to the point to where its almost a good beer.

Who knows, some more time and it just might be great, might not too, but one can always hope for the best right?

Latest posts

Back