Cocoa Nibs in Robust Porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBruchwalski

Reaction score
I have been doing some research on a Robust Porter Malt Extract Kit (Brewers Best) which I have bought from my LHBS (Fermentables). I am hoping to possibly be able to add some cocoa nibs to either the boil or fermenting bucket. Is there anything I should/should not do? I am pretty new but I would really like a deep cocoa flavor almost like Young's Double Chocolate despite that being a Stout.

Thanks in advance!

Let your wort turn to beer and then use chocolate in 2nd-ary or in primary after fermentation is done; that's what i do when i make my mocha cream stout

When I use cocoa nibs, I roast them first, and then put them into a couple of ounces of vodka to sit for at least a week, and then add to secondary.

How do I roast the cocoa nibs?

Is there any advantage to roasting vs just adding it to my fermenting bucket after fermenting is complete?

Also, is there a certain period I should wait after adding the cocoa to the bucket?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

the longer you wait, the more choc flavor you will get from nibs; i've never roasted my nibs before; not sure what flavor to get from it; i do know that the nibs don't really melt much; they are almost like plastic rubber if that makes sense; make sure you sanitize them first before adding; vodka is good to use like previously mentioned

roast in the oven and try some periodically would be my guess; i do know that when you roast things in oven that point of no return sneaks up on you quickly! not sure if this would be certain with nibs tho

You can also buy them roasted. Don't roast them at home if they already have been. Check the package. I've used roasted and raw. They're both good, just different.

Some manufacturers roast darker than others. It's worth experimenting with different products, or like said above, do it at home.

I make a really good chocolate stout. I drop the nibs into the primary in a drip coffee filter tied off with cotton string (bouquet garni style) and float them through the entire fermentation (pitching to 2 weeks). I use 4 oz. nibs for 5.5 gallons of stout. Great, balanced chocolate flavor with this method.

Awesome. That is really helpful! Is the head fairly dark or creamy when using the cocoa nibs?

I just made a chocolate stout. All I did was soak the nibs in vodka for a week. Drop it in the secondary and let it stay in there for 4 weeks. Taste great and strong. :)

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Home Brew mobile app

Alright. Thanks!

I have another question which is off subject but I don't want to create a new one because I'm sure it has been answered. My airlock on my Kölsch is down to about a bubble a minute and on its day 3 in the fermenter, should I transfer it to a secondary fermenter or keep it in the primary fermenter? All I have are the 6.5 gallon plastic fermenters. I read that secondary fermenting is up to the brewer and I am wondering what the more experienced guys do. I know I have a high chance of oxidizing the beer because of the size of the fermenter. I also read that it may be too late already because fermentation is so slow now. Would you suggest putting it into a secondary fermenter?

Alright. Thanks!

I have another question which is off subject but I don't want to create a new one because I'm sure it has been answered. My airlock on my Kölsch is down to about a bubble a minute and on its day 3 in the fermenter, should I transfer it to a secondary fermenter or keep it in the primary fermenter? All I have are the 6.5 gallon plastic fermenters. I read that secondary fermenting is up to the brewer and I am wondering what the more experienced guys do. I know I have a high chance of oxidizing the beer because of the size of the fermenter. I also read that it may be too late already because fermentation is so slow now. Would you suggest putting it into a secondary fermenter?

You can certainly skip the secondary entirely if you'd like. Either way, it's too early to secondary ferment your beer. Just because the bubbles are slowing down does not mean that yeast doesn't still have work to do. Yeast will clean up after themselves by scrubbing out undesirable side effects of the primary fermentation. This can happen full well in the primary fermenter.

If you were planning on leaving the beer over a month in the primary, I'd say secondary would be a good idea, but otherwise I'd just let it stay in primary for at least another week or two.

There is a great difference between the flavor of raw nibs and roasted nibs. For me, after roasting, the nibs taste more like a good chocolate bar or candy. Un roasted nibs taste like "chocolate" hard candy to me. Not bad, but just not real chocolate.

Is there a difference in buying them roasted vs roasting them myself? I don't want to try to roast the nibs and completely jack them all up.

Roasting them yourself will have a fresher roasted taste. How much a difference that is could be minimal to a lot depending on how long it has been since they were roasted.

Here is a random video of a homebrewer roasting raw nibs and putting them in his imperial stout. Doesn't look hard at all. I personally would soak them in vodka for a week before i put them in the secondary. This guy doesn't. I noticed in the video comments he suggests using a higher temp.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the point to putting the nibs into vodka? Does it to anything to the taste or is it strictly to sanitize whatever may/could be on them?

What is the point to putting the nibs into vodka? Does it to anything to the taste or is it strictly to sanitize whatever may/could be on them?

The higher level of alcohol is more efficient at pulling out alcohol soluble flavor compounds within the nibs. Put it all in the beer later, and you'll get even more of those, but more of the water soluble ones as well.

Sanitization never hurts, but I doubt there's much risk from nibs, anyway. If they've been roasted and kept dry, there's nothing much that can live on them anyway (or so I understand).

So put them in alcohol for a week, then dump the cocoa nibs AND alcohol into the beer?

I get the nib part and to add them to my secondary when that time comes. At what point do I transfer my beer from my primary to my secondary? I was told to do it prior to it completing it's fermentation process. What does everyone do to decide when it goes into your secondary?

What about putting them in at flame out or shortly after to at least get them to melt giving better yield with all the richness?

So put them in alcohol for a week, then dump the cocoa nibs AND alcohol into the beer?

That'll work. I'd try for 2 weeks, if you can. It makes a difference.

What about putting them in at flame out or shortly after to at least get them to melt giving better yield with all the richness?

They melt? I'll admit I've never tried it, but I'm very skeptical that they will melt in hot water.

Guldtoburg, I didn't say they would melt. That was a different poster. I wouldn't think they would melt.....

Hey, jumping in late, bit I have heard the fat in the nibs will screw up the beer! Wrong? Been wanting to use them also.

I haven't read anything about the fat. I have read that you obviously want to use them sparingly to ensure you don't overpower...that's they only way I really know of screwing up the beer?

If your nibs melt in hot water immediately call HazMat to dispose if that water! It is very dangerous stuff... :D

Cocoa Nibs are cracked, roasted cocoa beans. They should look a bit like coffee bean pieces. Nibs are not pieces of chocolate or chocolate candy.

If your nibs melt in hot water immediately call HazMat to dispose if that water! It is very dangerous stuff... :D

Cocoa Nibs are cracked, roasted cocoa beans. They should look a bit like coffee bean pieces. Nibs are not pieces of chocolate or chocolate candy.

Well that's a hell of a thing.:drunk: Guess I should do some reading on this mysterious nib concept.

Guldtoburg, I didn't say they would melt. That was a different poster. I wouldn't think they would melt.....

The new app never shows whom you're quoting. In this case, it was a multiquote, not you. Look above to see the other poster.

I make a milk stout with cacao nibs and oak cubes regularly. I always soak everything in Bourbon or Cognac. As for the fat thing, I've never had a problem with it

I'm looking at brewing the Eobust Porter. I just got the new NB catalog and I'm looking at ordering some of either the Simpsons chocolate malt or Briess Organic chocolate.

Has anyone ever used these in a porter and would it be okay to use in a secondary type situation to bring some more chocolate taste to the front burner?

Back