CO2 vs sulfites

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThePrisoner

Reaction score
I'd really like to try and bottle without adding sulfites or campden tablets.
First of all, how long can the brew last without sulfites added before getting oxidized?
Secondly, how can I put a layer of CO2 in the secondary fermenter to prevent this and how long will the CO2 last?

Is there any need to add these for bottling as the extra sugar added for priming will create it's own CO2 layer?

Sulfites are used for wine not beer,
I don't do a secondary unless I am adding something to my beer and when I do oxygenation has never been an issue, just make sure you don't leave a lot of head space.
Priming does produce C02, that is what carbonation is all about.
I am drinking beer I made almost 4 years ago, taste great, if anything aging has improved the flavor on some of them

It sounds like you're asking about cider. You don't have to use campden tablets. The best cider I have had was from a frenchman who made traditional cider with no extra yeast and no sulfites. Using secondaries for cider is fine. I flush them with C02 from a gas bottle and then rack on to that. Make sure there is as little headspace left as possible.

If you're talking about beer I can't help.

The two are not linked.

Sulphites to prevent oxidation during racking.

Priming sugars to allow the yeast to bottle condition the cider.

Adding CO2 to a vessel your racking into is a decent added tool.

Why the aversion to sulphites? They are present in wine/cider anyway so why not add more to protect from oxygenation. The levels reduce with time regardless of the source, hence the need for multiple uses if racking repeatedly as is often done in wine making and possibly cider making (not sure).

Edit: Didn't you already have a thread about this?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=545188

I withdraw what I said, I see from your other thread you are referring to cider.

I withdraw what I said, I see from your other thread you are referring to cider.

I'll second this and say to the OP to keep your posts in the correct forum. Posting a cider post in the beer forum without stating what you're talking about is at the very least CONFUSING!!

Latest posts

Back