Co2 Regulator Problems,., Pics..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kplum

Reaction score
4582705712_9d6ca5a17e.jpg

Co2 seemed to have frooze over..

4582075871_1701e335c8.jpg

Co2 regulator has a hole in the black part.. Co2 seems to be leaking from there constantly..

4582075681_c3a5be6c65.jpg

There seems that there is not a proper pressure valve(relief valve)

I hope someone can help.. I may have to buy a new regulator.. This one was handed down..

Co2 just leaks and leaks out of my system.. I have gone through 2-5# tanks of co2..

You need a pressure relief valve... Did it ever have one? And why is the tank frozen? Two thinks will cause that:
1. Quickly escaping CO2.
2. Freezer is freezing instead of cooling.

It never did have a relief valve..

Tank is frozen because of the Co2 escaping quickly.. it goes through the regulator and some escapes out of the little hole.. and the rest goes into to the keg.. the keg is not frozen which leads me to beliIeve the tank is frozen because of the Co2 escaping too quickly..

I might just buy a regulator.. this one has cost me two tanks of co2..

If you look where the valve should be its just a black knob.. It will not budge one way or the other..

The pressure relief is not just a bust disc is it? i.e an over pressure will break the disc and vent the entire tank to relieve the pressure?
Where did you get the regulator from anyway, what was it used for?

The pressure relief is not just a bust disc is it? i.e an over pressure will break the disc and vent the entire tank to relieve the pressure?
Where did you get the regulator from anyway, what was it used for?

Yeah, just a disc.. Someone from Coke passed down the regulator to me.. the regulator is relieving pressure.. when i put my finger over the hole.. the psi's goes from 11 to 40.. i think it has something to do with the improper relief valve.. i.e. I have a broken or nonfuctional regulator..

I wasnt sure if someone has encountered a similar problem..

Can you just clear up where the hole is that CO2 is leaking from, in the main body black bit or in the black bit that is attached to the brass bit between the 2 gauges?
Also if you close the regulator right down does it still leak (is the leak on the high pressure or low pressure side)?

Can you just clear up where the hole is that CO2 is leaking from, in the main body black bit or in the black bit that is attached to the brass bit between the 2 gauges?
Also if you close the regulator right down does it still leak (is the leak on the high pressure or low pressure side)?

the leak is from the main body.. the little black hole on the left of the main body(diaphram).. the black bit connected to the brass tube, will not budge.. I would think that the relief valve should stem off from there..

when the co2 is on the hole in the body leaks co2 continiously..

I wish i knew what brand it is.. I possibly could get a rebuild kit and rebuild it.. Not sure if I should just scrap it and get a new one.. One that I know will work..

There seems that there is not a proper pressure valve(relief valve)
I have never seen a primary regulator without relief valve.

I hope someone can help.. I may have to buy a new regulator.. This one was handed down..
Co2 just leaks and leaks out of my system.. I have gone through 2-5# tanks of co2..
I have a regulator which was leaking from day one (very small leak).
A few month ago the CO2 started to shoot out of the vent hole (not from the relief valve) after adjusting.
I dissembled the regulator and found the diaphragm was installed wrong, off center.

ac945064.jpg

Damaged diaphragm
7653feae.jpg

I repositioned the diaphragm and have now limited use, up to 30 PSI.

Take your regulator apart and inspect the diaphragm, if bad replace.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

If it's leaking from the pressure relief valve, why are you leaving it on? Turn the tank OFF, then either fix the valve or get a new regulator and stop wasting CO2. If your keezer fills up with CO2, it could knock you on your ass if you open it up and get too close.

I have the same problem as well. Luckily i have two regulators.. The hole that people are talking about, i have heard refered to as weep hole. Also someone had the problem some years ago here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=2406745. After looking at your regulator pic, i have decided to disassemble mine.

The difference with my problem, was it only occurred when i moved the regulator into the fridge. (was previously outside at room temp, aprox 20*c) Perhaps it was slow leaking, but i had a very small bit in my tank so not sure.

Another thing I noticed is that if i put my finger over the bleed hole, it climbs steadily upward till i release the hole. Broken seal i would assume.

I disassembled it now and cleaned it up with steel wool and baking soda and water as it looked like corrosion over the seams. The rubber bits all looked fine to me. Not sure what kind of lube was on the end of the spring, so i tried not to whipe it off.

Unfortunately, it did not make a difference as the regulator still doesnt hold pressure after reassembly. Perhaps it needs a new gasket as the sides could have worn down over time? I have no idea where to buy one of those! but perhaps the gas store will have parts.

i will try dissasmbly again tomorrow when i have some more energy. If anyone else had any suggestions, let me know.
<br>

0248.jpg

0249.jpg

0250.jpg

0251.jpg

0253.jpg

Back