Cloudy wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyzo

Reaction score
Last night I made an IPA on my new BIAB setup. This was only my 3rd AG ever, and my first IPA with this setup.
Things went pretty well besides missing my mash temp big time at first, it was at 160 for about a minute or two before I quickly added cold water and got it down to 153. At the end of the 75 minute mash it was 150.
One thing I noticed was that the wort was very cloudy. Maybe this is normal with that much grain, being that its an IPA? When the cold break happened at the end, most of it cleared out, so that could be good. I hit my OG straight on (1.068) and managed 74% eff.

Does the cloudy wort signify anything? Its bubbling pretty good now and a thin layer of krausen 9 hours later.
Thanks

Cloudy wort doesn't really mean much. It will settle out in the secondary if you use one. If you don't use a secondary, it will just clear out in the primary

that's the one complaint I see most on BIAB.. yes the wort is cloudy. Doesn't matter at all. I get crystal clear beer after cold crashing. I primary for at least 3 weeks, then cold crash for another week, then keg. if bottling, I skip the cold crash and still end up with clear great tasting beer.

so RDWHAHB your beer will be fine

Back