Cloudy wlp 002 starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I used wlp 002 for the first time in my last batch of beer. I made a larger starter than I needed and saved some of the yeast in a sterilized (pressure canner) jar in the fridge.

I just made a starter for my next batch, and it seems cloudier than I remember. I let it ferment for 36 hours, chilled for 8 and decanted. The decanted wort tastes ok, but after 24 hours in the fridge it's still cloudy - like a hefeweizen. Does this sound normal? The yeast still looked like egg-drop soup on the stir plate.

shouldn't be anything wrong with it, it won't floc completely and there's probably chill haze from being in the fridge

Normally WLP-002 is a flock monster! It will sit down like a rock! If it tasted and smelled good your probably fine. Not sure what would keep it from flocking unless it wasn't done chewing through the food you gave it. and like ^^^^ said there may be a bit of chill haze there.

Cheers
Jay

Jaybird - that's what I remembered. It was a while ago, but it seems to me that withing seconds of turning off the stirplate the wort, actually beer I suppose, would be clear. Is that your experience?

There were still some little bubbles on the surface when I chilled it. I'll leave this step on the plate for 48+ hours and see.

Jaybird - that's what I remembered. It was a while ago, but it seems to me that withing seconds of turning off the stirplate the wort, actually beer I suppose, would be clear. Is that your experience?

There were still some little bubbles on the surface when I chilled it. I'll leave this step on the plate for 48+ hours and see.

Totally! I can shake a vial of 002 and within 3-5 min its dropped.

Jay

Back