Cloudy in the carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skinner

Reaction score
I've got 2 brews in the lagering fridge right now at 36F. One is an Alt fermented with WLP036 and the other an amber lager fermented with S-23. They've both been lagering since January 23 and are not clearing as I expected they would. In the past I've seen that definite line in the beer that progressively lowers as the yeast and other particulates drop out. I don't see that at all with either of these brews. When I shine a flashlight into the carboys there's a definite cloudiness. Samples are also somewhat cloudy.

Any ideas? I know the obvious would be to add finings but I thought a lagering period would cause everything to drop out. I'd really rather not add finings at this stage.

Cheers!
K

It really depends on what is causing the cloudiness in your beer as to what the remedy is to clear it up. I would start with gelatin. You don't need to wait any longer to use it, you can just go ahead now and throw some in. If it is a yeast haze then it should take care of it pretty quickly. If it is a tannin/polyphenol haze then things are a little trickier.

Thanks. I may try the gelatin if ti doesn't clear, or start to, in the next week. One question - if I use the gelatin will there be enough residual yeast in the beer to bottle condition?

Thanks.
K

If you use gelatin you will want to add back a small amount of yeast at bottling time to carbonate. You would want to do this anyway even if you just let it lager for an extended period.

Back