Cloudy EdWort's cider after 3 months...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve68

Reaction score
This is my second batch of EdWort's cider. Used Costco apple juice (5 gallons), 2# of dextrose and followed instructions same as the first time. Only difference - my LHBS was out of Montrachet yeast that I used in the first batch, and he recommended the "Cider Yeast". Now, almost 3 months after pitching yeast, the cider is still cloudy. My first batch cleared in what seemed like before I hit the 2 month time-frame.

Any suggestions to get it to clear? I plan on adding priming sugar and bottling. Of course, as we are approaching the fall/winter, I could always just let it continue to bulk age in the carboy and see if it clears over time...

Most often time will settle cloudy cider. (You just have to be very patient.) If you like me are not so patient then consider completing the following. (No Specific order)

There are a number of reasons a Cider could be cloudy.
- Neutral suspended solids. - If you have refrigerator space Cold Crash for 3 – 5 days.
- Positive and or Negative Charged Solids. - Add KC Super-Kleer Follow the directions on the packet(s) and wait 3 - 5 days.
- If still hazy it is likely pectin haze. (Not likely using Apple Juice from Costco) - Add 2tsp Pectin Enzyme and wait 3 – 5 days.

After each if any lees then rack.

There are other clarifying or fining agents available some like Gelatin and Bentonite clarify using a different mechanism than described above and could be used. I have no experience with them as the above has always worked for me.

Good Luck

Back