cloudy beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

houndhome1

Reaction score
I am new to the kegging think, My first beer has been sitting in keg at room temp for two weeks. I connected my lines and pour one beer. The carbination seems fine but the the beer it self is very cloudy. It taste ok, but i never had this before when bottling.

I have seen the use of Irish moss and some other products. Will I need to start using them when I use the keg?

My second question is how much of this haze will go way when I chill the keg down in my refig.

The first few glasses of kegged beer is usually cloudy from the sediment settling on the bottom of the keg. I usually crash cool my carboys at 34° for a few days before kegging. You'll be doing the same by putting the keg in fridge. It'll probably keep getting clearer over time. I always use Irish Moss in my recipes. Just throw about a teaspoon in 15 min before flame out. That should help as well. Hope this helps...

thanks, that makes sence. I didn't think about the tube pulling from the bottom of the keg. I will let in sit one more week at room temp then put in the ref. That should do it.

I'd advise against cutting the dip tube...some might suggest it, but I see no reason. The first pint or two might be cloudy, but you'll be getting rid of most of the yeast that settled. After that, you should be able to move your keg, or haul it to a party, with no problems.

Cut your dip tube, and you won't remove as much yeast in the first pint, and then every time you move the keg, you'll resuspend some yeast, and thus have several cloudy pints until it settles.

Plus a cut dip tube means 1 less pint you can dispense.

Every time you move the keg it will get clouded again.

The trick to serving your beer without any cloudiness to it is to get it cold and serve it where it is...without any movement.

I will either filter it or let it sit longer so more yeast falls out. The less yeast you rack into the keg the less will come out of it.

Latest posts

Back