Closed transfer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LostHopper

Reaction score
I have been using the closed transfer method to keg my beer from a Fermonster to a keg. Since the keg lid is closed what's the best method to know the keg is FULL but not too full?
I could use markings on the fermenter but I've got dry hop bags in there which throws the measurement off.
I've used the chilled condensation on the side of the keg but depending on conditions that doesn't always work at the top.
Last night I weighed the keg full of StarSan and filled to the same weight with beer. Then my OCD kicked in and thought the specific gravity could vary but I'm sure it's close.

So what is your method to know you filled the closed keg?
(I had beer left in the fermenter so I just bottled it.)

Thanks

If you keep the pressure relief valve on keg open during transfer, to let gas out to equalize pressure during transfer, when beer starts coming out the valve, you're too full. ;) Seriously that's how I learned...but you could always buy those magnet balls that people use to know how much beer is left in keg and as it fills the ball out outside will rise.

If you keep the pressure relief valve on keg open during transfer, to let gas out to equalize pressure during transfer, when beer starts coming out the valve, you're too full. ;) Seriously that's how I learned...but you could always buy those magnet balls that people use to know how much beer is left in keg and as it fills the ball out outside will rise.
That's basically how I found out. I have a QD and hose going into sanitizer on the gas post and when beer started coming out of that post, I knew I filled it a bit too much.

Take your FG multiply by 8.34 take that result and multiply by your desired volume. So a beer that finishes at 1.012 would be
1.012 x 8.34 = 8.44 x 5 = 42.2 lbs for a 5 gallon keg.

hmmm I never get more than about 41 lbs into a corny keg. That is about the level that some beer and foam might start making it's way through the spunding valve. I fill my kegs on a scale and aim for 41 lbs. If I get 3 full to that level I call it a win. Didn't realize I might not actually have 15 gallons packaged...

My process is to do the starsan purge with co2, if I have room I stick them (also 3 kegs) in the fridge, or this time of year they go outside for a little while to cool the kegs. I also fill them on a scale and usually hit 42lbs, I can't say I get any more or less then when I don't have the ability to cool the kegs. I do feel like certain kegs have a little more volume then others but I have not investigated this to say for sure. I have probably 12 or 15 kegs, a couple new and the rest used, 3 or 4 different styles. I should see how much volume by weight of water each one actually holds sometime.

I never get that much in my pinlocks. I usually have beer exiting the gas disconnect before I can get to 40lbs.

I watch for beer to start up the gas line. Since I connect both the liquid posts and the gas posts and gravity feed, it's not a big deal for me if a little beer gets in the gas line.

Back